Maximum Grain bill in 5 gallon cooler.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BIAB won't impact the calculations from the linked site.

Just using the site, quickly, you should be able to safely mash 12# of grain at 1.25qt/# (water to grain ratio) in a 5 gallon vessel/pot/cooler/etc.

Personally, I wouldn't go with a 5 gallon cooler mash tun, unless you're making 3 gallon batches. IMO, you're going to be very limited in what you'll be able to brew, at least in all grain. If you're going partial mash, then it could work out.

BIAB won't impact the calculations from the linked site.

Just using the site, quickly, you should be able to safely mash 12# of grain at 1.25qt/# (water to grain ratio) in a 5 gallon vessel/pot/cooler/etc.

Personally, I wouldn't go with a 5 gallon cooler mash tun, unless you're making 3 gallon batches. IMO, you're going to be very limited in what you'll be able to brew, at least in all grain. If you're going partial mash, then it could work out.

I usally do 1.75 gallon batches so the 5 gal. cooler is fine. But I'm trying to do a double, almost double, so I can compare two different fermenting temps doing this BYO recipe cut down to my size.

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Beer Styles - Dampfbier: Style Profile

I want to do one at say 64* like all my other brews and one around 75 as stated in the article. I'm hoping the "cool" Hawaiian "winter" temps will let me ferment at what ever temp nature provides.

Back