Maximizing Ferm Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
Is it ok to let the beer ferment for 1 week at an ideal temperature, then move it to room temp for the rest of the process simply so I have the ferm chamber ready for a new brew 1 week after making the first brew?

Or is one week at ideal temp not enough and risks off flavors?

No risk at all, in fact that's what I do. Temperature control is critical during the first 3-5 days of fermentation. After a week, it's actually helpful to allow the beer to warm up a bit and encourage the yeast to "clean up" after themselves.

I let it sit at the same temp the entire time but that is just because I set it and forget it. Raising the temp a few degrees is good for the yeast. Taking it out after a week is completely fine. Just make sure fermentation is near completion (which after a week, it should be).

Most of the time this is just fine. The only issues I could think of with this might be saisons and lagers (and maybe "hybrid lager" yeasts).

I experimented with Wyeasts Belgian Saison strain this summer and it was actually good keeping it at room temp (68F to 72F) at the beginning until vigorous fermentation slowed, then I began ramping up the temps, trying to get into the upper 80Fs.

From what I've observed around here, SOP with lagers is usually to pitch at low temps and keep them low for the first 5 (or so) days of active fermentation. After that it is brewers choice on whether to have a diacetyl (spelling?) rest, and at what temperature to bump it up to. Rarely will it be above 68F, and the only reason I cite even that warm is because everyone is talking up some blog where a guy has success kegging lager after about six weeks and that is what he does.

"Hybrid lager" strains like Wyeast's German Ale and California Lager I think are usually kept around 56F to 62F the whole time, maybe some will recommend a slight bump in temp after a week, but I wouldn't go to room temp. German Ale is supposed to produce very little diacetyl and I assume it isn't a problem for the others either, so they can sit at their recommended temps the whole time.

Latest posts

Back