Max Cap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you had to go all ot an brew as much as possible what would be you maximum capacity.

I can brew 6 gallons
Primary 18 gallons
Secondary 18 gallons
Keg 30 Gallons. (plus maybe 10 gallons in the bottles I have)

So the largest quantity I could possible have on the go is 82 gallons I'd have to drink as fast as I brew though.

It's normally more like
2 doing, 2 aging and 2 drinking.
36 gallons <>

My 2 bottlenecks are my fridge and bottles.

I can have 2 buckets or 2 carboys in my fridge so 10gal.

I've got a 60qt pot so I can brew 10gal but I haven't yet.

I'm not sure how many bottles I have but I know I need more!

20 galllons fermenting at any one time (only 10 in the freezer, though).

35 gallons of bottle capacity.

Total of 55 gallons, or 11 batches.

That's more than enough.

Winery10-17-07.jpg

that's 27 gallons + 1 empty carboy + a few more 1 gallon jugs + bottles...

I'd say 40-45... I need to start kegging... :(

36 gal fermenting
30 gal kegged
NO clue how many bottles I could hold.....been a while since I looked at the stash.

As long as everyone is whipping it out and measuring, I figured I should chime in. My operation is fairly large, but somewhat inneficent, mainly due to my lack of time and mismanagement. But here we go.

I have:
4 X 6.5 gallon glass primary fermenters (for 5 gallon batches) - 20 gallons primary
6 X 5 gallon glass secondary fermenters - 30 gallons secondary fermenters
4 X 5 gallon kegs for lagering or as secondary fermenter - 20 gallons
4 X 5 gallon kegs for carbonating and serving - 20 gallons
I also have approximately 100 X 12 oz cap bottles 150 X 16 oz "grolsch" bottles and 50 or so swing tops of various sizes up to 1.5 litres. - Probably about 30 gallons

My chest freezer will only fit 7 kegs at a time, it would fit 8 if it was not for the CO2 tank. It also doubles as my kegerator, I have a two tap tower, with a seperate guages on the tank so I can carbonate some beers and serve others at various PSI.

My bottleneck occurs during my brew day, I can do 2 10 gallon batches in a day, but not much more than that, I got three out once but they were all extract. I spend way to much time cleaning and sanitizing, also I have to bring everything up and down the stairs to my basement which is a huge pain. I am having trouble figuring out a schedule, and usually only brew once or twice a month, I could go bigger and get about 120 gallons of beer in my place at a time during various stages of fermentation, but aside from the random bottles of stuff I am saving I have never had more than 9 or 10 - 5 gallon batches at one time.

I'm waiting for Biermuncher to chime in here. I can brew 10 gallons at a time, ferment 10 gallons, then keg, store, chill & carb 18 five gallon cornies and 2 three gallon cornies.

That's 96 gallons on tap plus 10 fermenting.

Time to get ready for next summer. :D

I'm not counting my bottles because I'm never bottling again if I can help it (discounting the occasional fills with a Beer Gun for comps).

4 kegs = 20 gallons
2 carboys = 10 gallons
2 buckets = 10 gallons

Theoretically if I timed everything right I could have a maximum of 40 gallons at a time, but the most I've ever pushed capacity was 25 gallons at once.

Let's see.
I have a:
15 gallon Conical (figure 12 gallons usable)
2 Bottling buckets (12 gallons)
3 6.5 gallon carboys (11 gallons)
2 5 gallon carboys (10 gallons)
17 kegs (85 gallons)
12 cases of 16oz Bottles (20 gallons)
6 cases of 12oz Bottles (15 gallons)

So if I had everything full or utilized, I would have 165 gallons.

Of course I never have that much on hand and I rarely use the carboys and bottles anymore. So I usually have around 40 or 50 gallons in kegs or fermenters at any given time.

4- 6gal
2- 5gal
1- 6.5gal
8- corneys

80.5 gal - brewery capacity

Plus all the bottles, don't know how many that is, so we'll go with 80.5G

Cheers

Three 6.5 gallon buckets
One 6 gallon glass carboy
Two 7.9 gallon wine buckets
Six corneys
And if I needed to, I could use my MLT as a primary / secondary for an additional 8 gallons.

3 better bottles - 15 gal (19.5 if you consider full capacity)
2 fermenting buckets - 10 gal (13 if you consider full capacity)
5 kegs - 25 gal
enough bottles for about 3 batches - 15 gal
1 one-gallon jug for mini experimental batches
plus two bottling buckets, which could be used as fermenters in a pinch - 10 gal (13 at full capacity)
and if I wanted to throw caution to the wind and use blue water carboys as fermenters, then another 10 gal as well.

So I'd say realistically 66 gal, a little over 70 if I filled the fermenters way up, and up to 89 gal if I went completely nuts.

I still haven't gotten into a groove, so I usually only have 5 gallons at any given time.

But I have capacity for:

5 Primary
5 Secondary
5 in Keg
5 in Bottles

So, 20 total.

Hopefully bumping up to 10 gallon batches soon.

20 gallons in the conical
12 gallons in buckets
6 gallons in a Better Bottle
45 gallons kegged
~10 gallons bottled

Roughly 93 gallons total if I went nuts.

Realistically, I usually have about 30 gallons on hand at any given time.

I think I am going to plan it out and do three Nuts weekends in a row, just to max out my basement, you know for fun, but I need some advice on scheduling.

I can brew 3 - 10 gallon batches in one day if I use extract, that fills all my big carboys and leaves me using 5 gallon ones with blowoff tubes. So if I brew 30 gallons a week for 3 weeks in a row I can get to my secondary storage / keg capacity. I need to come up with recipes and stagger them in such a way that I won't have to drink everything all at once. Possible some 5 to six week ales the first weekend. some 6 to 8 week lagers the second weekend, and some 3 month big beers the last weekend. What do you think I should brew to max out this setup?

I can brew 20 gallons, ferment 50, secondary 20, and keg 85. That's theoretically 175 gallons at once if you don't have to put the beer you're brewing into a fermentor.

Latest posts

Back