Mauritius

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurelie

Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone has recommendations of resellers shipping yeast and dextrose to Mauritius pls?

I'd only try and get dried yeast shipped unless someones bringing liquid yeast in their suitcase with a cold pack.
Not sure on the marginal gain of dextrose over sugar or inverted sugar.

Glucose is a simple sugar. Dextrose is also a simple sugar and is the name given to sugars derived from starches (usually corn). Glucose and Dextrose are biochemically identical.

Fructose is the primary sugar found in fruit.

Sucrose refers to what we commonly call “table sugar.” Sucrose is a double sugar with a 1:1 ratio of glucose and fructose that are chemically bonded together. Sucrose/table sugar is commonly derived from sugar cane or sugar beets.

Inverted sugar you split the glucose and fructose apart before by cooking with acid and another sugar to save the yeast some work. The yeast can manage to break down plain old sugar though. I'd save my transport costs for lots of different yeasts and if you are distilling then go for a yeast specific to make a wash such as a turbo yeast and the nutrients to feed a sugar only ferment.

So you really just want a non beer yeast that can tolerate a lot of alcohol and then you can distill that and add your flavourings or botanicals.
There are yeasts that tolerate over 25% alcohol. Afraid I don't know a lot about distilling but bags of sugar should be fine. Is sugar cheap in Mauritius?
Given that you need to get the yeast shipped in learning about yeast storing and propagation would be of great value to you.

Thanks that's super helpful. I'm wondering if I can even make my own yeast, but I may be too much of a beginner for it! Yep, sugar relatively cheap over here.

It's really easy to get yeast, after all its used to make bread. But that yeast not so good for beer.
I had a quick read of this site and it has some food for thought.
https://milehidistilling.com/how-to-make-gin/The first bit is easy sugar,water yeast and nutrients keep it at the correct temperature.
Distilling requires equipment but then pretty much you can make anything if you use flavourings.

Years ago in the UK there were kits that made high alcohol ferments that you cleaned up after and cleared and added flavour, with a dash of sodastream tonic syrup and put in the sodastream it was pretty much ready mixed Gin and Tonic. But not as good as gin spirit plus tonic however it was legal in uk as no distilling.
Here in NZ distilling is legal for your own consumption. Neighbour over the road does it but with Covid lockdown I haven't been able to see the process.

Back