matureing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allnighta

Reaction score
ok peeps just broke open me first batch of geordie lager land it has been matureing for 5 weeks in a pressure barrel
its drinkable but i find that it taste of cider more than lager which i not really keen on
is it better to mix your own brew up instead of the kits and if so whats the best mix to get a lcl type tasting brew or kronenberg or a good lager
thanxs in advance

Cidery flavours are not good, for sure. What was your fermentation temperature? That has more to do with "off" flavours than what brand of kit you use, in my experience. I ferment on the cool end for ale, and have never had any trouble, brewing kits, extract/adjunct etc.

Cidery is often the results of adding table sugar. Some kit manufacturers have you do this to boost the ABV. If that was the case with your kit, next time substitute extra light malt extract for the sugar.

Did your kit say to add a lot of table sugar? That can yield a cidery flavor. If using a kit next time, add extra DME instead of sugar and you'll get less cider flavor and more body.

kit did say to add 2lbs of sugar and yes i used normal sugar as i have with one i just set away,i will try different suger next batch
thanxs for the replys

Latest posts

Back