Mastication! Saliva! (Eww, I know, but what grains can spit ferment?!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lifeisafarm

Reaction score
I've read a lot about Chicha (corn based) before, and apparently there are other similar, lightly alcoholic ferments such as Kuchikamizake (rice based), or even Masato where, quote, "In the rainforest of Peru, locals chew yuca and spit the masticated root into jars for fermentation". Granted, yuca's a root and not a grain but...

I am wondering – in the name of science! – if this spit/chew method can be used to convert the starches of oats (or any other "tricksy" grains for that matter) into available sugars to brew with? From what I've read, regular cooking oats cannot (easily) produce beer without some already malted barley or similar being added into the mash. Quote, "Oats are extremely difficult to malt and to crush efficiently but their contribution to the flavour of certain speciality ales is significant". I'd love to experiment with something notoriously difficult by applying an ancient method to invent a totally novel drink!

Latest posts

Back