Massive Infection Potential

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongonk

Reaction score
Think I will have a major infection in my batch from yesterday. Aye... Here are the particulars.

Vieanna/Cascade SMaSH
12lbs grain
US05

I had my plastic lid/fermentor nicley sanitized and ready to go after chilling the wort. Part of my ritual is having my son hold a strainer over the fermenter as I pour the wort in. Unfortunately my son grabbed the wrong bucket I had from another batch that wasn't cleaned. My fault. He forgot the lid. He grabbed it off the sanatized ine down stairs. To make a long story short I poured away. I realized something was wrong half way through the pour when I saw one of my kids dirty socks floating g in it....aye.

Anyway I capped it and keeping my fingers crossed.

I would have re-boiled for 15 minutes.

If you had a late hop addition, that might mess with it, but you'd still get a beer out of it

I would have re-boiled for 15 minutes.

If you had a late hop addition, that might mess with it, but you'd still get a beer out of it

2oz Cascade at flameout.
If it comes out clean I'll be shocked. If it smells like old sour cheese from my boys socks I won't be shocked

I have nothing useful to add, but you should name this beer “Malt, Hops and Dirty Socks”

Secret ingredient is a family secret.

Foot yeast=candida; that means limburger, appenzeller, gorgonzola flavors are all within the realm of possibility. Not to mention any e.coli, etc. the sock may have swept up off the floor, and if he stepped in grass or soil a range of wild yeasts can be expected as well as a very real though remote possibility of clostridium botulinum and potentially even anthrax. Probably no more dangerous nor any less palatable than a run-of-the-mill medieval brew, although today we have antibiotics; in any case we won't be exhanging bottles.

Not to mention Tetanus, the Black Plague, Ebola, Mad Cow Disease, Pediculosis Capitis, Boils, and the absolute worst - Locust Infestation.....o_Oo_Oo_O
I'd add a can of Tinactin to the bottling bucket!!

Pretty sure I would have saved the yeast and brewed another day. Anyhow, i’m Watching this to see how it turns out.

Well...as of this morning the airlock is starting to slow down. The room in the basement smells like Cascade so keeping my fingers crossed. Planning on throwing in 2 0z dry hop. Maybe this will diminish the cheese/plauge issues. ;-)

Back