Mashing with rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
I wanted to share this to see if anyone has done something like this, or if it is regularly done.

I wanted to use rice in a cream ale, but did not want to put that sticky mess into the mash and risk a stuck sparge. So this was my solution:

I cooked 1# regular long grain rice for 30 min. the night before; it was overcooked and sticky. The morning I brewed, I put the rice in a large pot on the stove with 3 quarts of water, and slowly warmed the mess to just under a boil, turned it off, and let it sit while I got everything together for the brew. Then I strained the rice and let the starchy water go into the mash as part of the mash water. I also rinsed the rice for additional water.

I used a total of about 1.5 quarts per pound of grains including the starchy water.

I wound up with my anticipated OG. So I must have gotten the starch from the rice, and it converted.

Has anyone ever done something like this?

So the rice grains or sticky mess does not go into the mash then?
No the rice does not go into the mash. I wanted to avoid putting it in.

I have never tried flaked rice. Does it work well, and not stick the sparge?

Its worked well for me the couple times I've used it. No stuck sparge, but I did use a large handful of rice hulls.

Not every online dealer carries flaked rice. I am looking into Minute Rice (generic version) for use in the mash.

I have never tried that personally, so I can't comment. When I make my Cream Ale, I add 1lb of Minute Rice directly to the mash and toss in 4oz of rice hulls just to be safe. I have never had a stuck sparge that way.

I personally think its great to always have rice hulls on hand. A handful or two is a great insurance policy. A stuck sparge can be a real nightmare...

Yeah, and not to mention that you can get a tandem dump truck load of rice hulls for a buck ninety eight.
Ok, they are a little more expensive than that, but not much.

Yeah, and not to mention that you can get a tandem dump truck load of rice hulls for a buck ninety eight.
Ok, they are a little more expensive than that, but not much.

I do think we're getting ripped off spending over $1 per lb at the LHBS. But you are right that a truckload costs like $5 at the processing plant... transportation is the cost.

Those living less than 200 miles from rice mills should have a hard time justifying the
use of any other type of insulation material. When many mills reluctantly sell rice hulls
for less than $5.00 dollars per ton, the argument in favor of rice hulls becomes even more
compelling. At $5.00 per ton, the cost of rice hulls per ft2 of a 12-inch deep wall is a mere
$0.02.

http://www.thelaststraw.org/backissues/articles/Rice Hull House.pdf

That is surprisingly interesting. But I was hoping for a link to buy some in bulk, like, a bag, not a ton:). I'll stick with the HBS for now..

That is actually fascinating. So many materials end up in the landfill that could be used if people were more open minded. One of the reasons this country is so stuck on oil, is the inability of the public to embrace non-traditional ideas. (Among other things)

That is surprisingly interesting. But I was hoping for a link to buy some in bulk, like, a bag, not a ton:). I'll stick with the HBS for now..

Awwww, c'mon. Buy a freakin' ton and split it with your buds here.
I'll start off and PayPal you $0.0125 for 5 lbs...... :D

... When I make my Cream Ale, I add 1lb of Minute Rice directly to the mash and toss in 4oz of rice hulls...
Same here, but I've never used rice hulls. I've never had a seriously stuck sparge, so I've never had the need. In fact, I'll be brewing this again soon.

Same here, but I've never used rice hulls. I've never had a seriously stuck sparge, so I've never had the need. In fact, I'll be brewing this again soon.

Do you find that the pilsner 2-row makes a difference, or is it just what you had around?

Does the honey take a while to mellow? I made a light ale with honey once, and it tasted like crapp until about 6 mo. later, then it was nice. You could get the honey aroma after that. Looks like a nice recipe, hoppy for a cream ale!!

Edit: You are in Oak Forest Rhoobarb! I grew up in Hazel Crest, Went to Hillcrest highschool for one year back in the early eighties.

The common way to do a cereal mash with rice is to add about 20% of your barley to it to prevent it from getting gummy.

The common way to do a cereal mash with rice is to add about 20% of your barley to it to prevent it from getting gummy.

I found this while searching, and it makes a lot of sense.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/basmati-rice-cereal-mash-106288/#post1168537

There is no starch to convert until the rice is cooked, and you have to bring the water up to a temp that will kill the enzymes to get the starch out, so it does seem to be a waste of grains to put them in with the rice when it is cooking. In addition, bringing the grains to a boil is said to add unwelcome flavors/tannins.

On the topic of rice, wild rice in a nut brown might be nice. Kind of pricey though.

Edit: In this article (http://hopwild.com/2009/02/18/cereal-mashing-bother/), he adds the grains, as you suggest, and does a mash on the adjunct. If it is going in the mash tun anyway, that seems like a waste of time and effort. Hmm.

Back