Mashing time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grnich

Reaction score
I'm doing a recipe from Beer Captured, and they all seem to say mash for 90 minutes. I've had conversions complete within 60 minutes, so if I do an iodine test and the starch conversion is complete in 60 minutes(or less), is there any reason to mash longer? Are you picking up more color, or flavor, or something?

If you find it's done in 60, you're done. With well modified malts, it may be done in 30 minutes.

You might want to startch test the first time but if you do it right it'll work every time. I never test and it works out every time.

The only reason for mashing longer is so you can do other things. If I want to cut my brew day doen to under 3.5 hours I mash for 30 minutes.
If I want to do something else during the day like take SWMBO out shopping and for lunch I'll leave it 4 hours. Some people leave it over night.

Latest posts

Back