MAshing interpretation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keiskamma1

Reaction score
Need help interpreting the below and understanding the full mash profile and time intended:

Mashing:

Use a 30 minute conversion rest at 150°F. This is a moderately low conversion temperature for a relatively short time that should provide a nice balance of malt dextrins in the finished beer. If you are keeping up with these recipes, this particular mash scheme was designed to make a bit maltier, fuller beer than what we’ve done the past few years. If you can, raise your mash temperature up to 165°F after conversion rest to stop the enzymatic conversion of starches to sugars before lautering.

sounds like there was more before that....

assuming the grains are already in the water...

Raise the temp to 150F and keep it there for 30 minutes. Then heat the whole mess up to 165 and hold there while you sparge.

Once it runs clear boil the wort (the grains should be left behind)

My read on this is he is using a short mash time to not fully convert the starches and leave more longer chain sugars and dextrins in the sweet wort. The reason he is specifying a mash out temp is to denature the enzymes else during the run off the enzymes are going to keep breaking down the complex sugars and there by altering the finished product.

Clem

The word "rest" usually implies a stop between 2 destinations, otherwise, why not "mash at 150 for 30 min?

But you could be right.

we need the paragraph or 2 before the OP quote.

I dont mean to derail the thread but if one is lautering with the intent to boil soon after; whats the impetous for ending the starch conversion? It will be ended soon enough. I do mash out at 169F just to reduce the viscocity of the runoff and to disolve more sugar...but ending conversion is not my intent.

I dont mean to derail the thread but if one is lautering with the intent to boil soon after; whats the impetous for ending the starch conversion? It will be ended soon enough. I do mash out at 169F just to reduce the viscocity of the runoff and to disolve more sugar...but ending conversion is not my intent.

That is a good question.

And perhaps it is just to reduce viscosity.

Back