Mashing for high FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdemon

Reaction score
How would i mash to get high FG? Im making a 1090 beer and want it to finish high. Maybe somewhere around 1025 or even higher. Should i do a step mash or do a sngle infusion at 70c or something like that?

+1 on higher mash temp. Also, you can use a lower attenuating yeast - something with a range of high 60s (F) to low 70s. Getting from 1090 to 1025 is about 72% attenuation.

Mash high (158F or 70C), use a lot of crystal malts, use a low attenuating yeast.

If you're not bottle conditioning, cold crash once you reach your desired F.G.

It didnt turn out the way i wanted it. It went from 1089 -1012 so itll be a nice beer but not something i can use to blend my low FG beer with. I mashed at 67C. The recipe is just pilsnermalt and dark candisyrup so i guess its hard to get a high FG with 14% sugar...

Next time ill need a high FG batch ill just use malts and no candisyrup and mash at 67-68 degrees C.

Sounds like a belgian recipe. They are pretty much designed to go low. What did you end up using for yeast? Something like Danstar's Windsor yeast is pretty low attenuating. 67C (153F) also probably wasn't high enough. If you like the flavor profile and don't want to add in any new malts you might be able to raise your FG next time by keeping the same recipe but adding some lactose or malto. Hey, either way, it's still beer.

Sounds like a belgian recipe. They are pretty much designed to go low. What did you end up using for yeast? Something like Danstar's Windsor yeast is pretty low attenuating. 67C (153F) also probably wasn't high enough. If you like the flavor profile and don't want to add in any new malts you might be able to raise your FG next time by keeping the same recipe but adding some lactose or malto. Hey, either way, it's still beer.

I used White Labs abbey yeast. Dont really care for dry yeast besides the safale us-05 for pale ale/IPA.

I probably wont try to get a super high FG again but I really need to find a way to get my Belgian dubbels to attenuate less. If I make a dubbel with 1070 OG i want it to end above FG 1010. The ones Ive made has ended up at 1006 and thats not sweet enough for the style according to me.

Ive tried using a whole bunch of malts in beers, like 5-6(pious new world westvleteren clone for ex) but there must be a way to get a 1070 beer to end up at FG 1010 or higher even when using 14-15% sugar and hungry belgian yeast. Most people here seems to have the opposite problem so theres something that i am doing and they dont or the other way around.

Im having the opposite problem with my pale ale. it always ends up just above 1010. its made with pilsnermalt,carapils and vienna and safale us-05 and no extra sugar.

Ill might try to do a single temperature mash for the next one and hold it at 154F for 90 min and then mash out at 172F and see where that takes me.
i dont really know what the first low temp steps in the multirest mashing does for fermentability...

Im quite picky when it comes to beer in general and Ive probably dumped way above half of what ive brewed myself. I think its fun to brew, the whole conditioning and bottling i could do without but the brewing process is fun so I dont really have a big problem dumping beer aslong as I havent bottled it..

So why not actually mash at 158?

You want a high OG, and you're picky, so why not take the advice given and mash at 158?

Besides that, lactose, malto, crystal malts? Those provide extra unfermentable sugars. Why not use some?

It's like you're throwing your hands in the air and wondering what's wrong when we're actually giving you the answer. So what's wrong with the answers we've already given you?

So why not actually mash at 158?

You want a high OG, and you're picky, so why not take the advice given and mash at 158?

Besides that, lactose, malto, crystal malts? Those provide extra unfermentable sugars. Why not use some?

It's like you're throwing your hands in the air and wondering what's wrong when we're actually giving you the answer. So what's wrong with the answers we've already given you?

Sorry about that, asking questions but not listening to the answers.

Ill order some crystal malt, how big % to use?
If im making a beer with only pilsner-malt and 14% sugar, should i do 10% sugar and 4% crystal? or an even bigger part?

Well, I try to use 5% or less in most my beers...because I don't want the F.G to be too high. If my goal was an F.G. of 1.025 I'd be willing to go up to 20%, especially given that base malt and sugar make up the rest of it.

sugar will give you a beer that is dryer with a lower FG yeast eats sugar like crazy

Yeah i know but its hard to make a dubbel or quad without the sugar when the recipe is pilsner malt and dark candisyrup.

Any ideas on how to sub the dark candisyrup with dark malts?

Back