Mashing cereal for secondary addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

So I know there is plenty of threads about "adding breakfast cereal to secondary" with typical responses of "you should have added it to the mash", so I was thinking there could be a work around.

A buddy and I did a large collaboration stout (11gal 1.120OG) and decided to take extra runnings to get 5 gallons of a smaller stout. After boiling, ended up with 5.5gal of a 1.056 OG stout. Buddy wanted to try to add cinnamon toast crunch to secondary. Like most of you I am a little wary of such things so I had an idea.

crunch up the cereal, mill some 2-row (amount depending on amount of cereal), do a little mini-mash with the cereal and 2-row, do a little mini mash-out and sparge to get like 1/2gal. Boil down to a more manageable volume (1pint to 1qt), cool, and add midway through primary.

You will get some secondary fermentation, but at least it wouldn't be a mushy mess with tons of unfermentables and potential unwanted microbes. Figure the gravity could be measured and any change to the total ABV could be calculated.

For this particular experiment, I am thinking 1lb of 2row milled+ 2 boxes of cinnamon toast crunch. Mash at 152 for 30min using "X Volume" mash water (figuring out a weight/vol ratio of cereal to water and absorption). Mash-out and sparge if possible, boil to <= 1qt, cool, and add to primary...

Looking for thoughts and suggestions on the idea, especially from people who have mashed in breakfast cereals and how they adapted their mash water volumes.

Thanks!

So, I just went and did this last night.

Mashed 1# of crushed 2-row with 2.5# of Cinnamon Toast Crunch (pulverized with a rolling pin) in 1 gal of water at 153F in a cooler and let sit for 45min. The cereal absorbs approximately 2cups of liquid per pound. Mashed out and a small sparge later, ended up with 3qts.

Brought to a boil and reduced to 1qt, adding 2 cinnamon sticks for a while. Cooled and added to the beer.

This stuff was liquid french toast. No joke. It was a bit of a hassle and a mess, and probably better just to do it in the original mash. I will come back and do a final review once the beer is kegged, but I will say that initial observations are very promising.

I think it will work, I have no opinion on the flavor.
All kinds of things are regularly added in the fermenter: candi sugar, fruit, spices, wood chips, liquor, etc.

Back