Mashed to low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogaloo

Reaction score
This weekend I brewed and had some trouble hitting my mash temp. I was planning on mashing at 150 degree, but got a little distracted BSing with my buddy, and wound up hitting 145 degrees. It probably sat there for ten minutes until I added ~ quart of boiling water which brought to the mp to over 152. I then tried to correct this by adding little room temp water, which brought it back to 146. At this point I just let the mash go for 90 min.

I hit my Target OG, but I am wondering how this might affect the fermentablility of the wort? Should I just expect a bone dry beer? 25% of the crist was flaked corn BTW.

Lesson learned though. I need to pay a bit more hitting my strike temp, and less to knocking back a few beers and shooting the S*** with my brew pal.

Will be perfect. Just wait and see! Should be lighter bodied and dryer than if mashed higher the whole time...just how I like em!

This weekend I brewed and had some trouble hitting my mash temp. I was planning on mashing at 150 degree, but got a little distracted BSing with my buddy, and wound up hitting 145 degrees. It probably sat there for ten minutes until I added ~ quart of boiling water which brought to the mp to over 152. I then tried to correct this by adding little room temp water, which brought it back to 146. At this point I just let the mash go for 90 min.

I hit my Target OG, but I am wondering how this might affect the fermentablility of the wort? Should I just expect a bone dry beer? 25% of the crist was flaked corn BTW.

Lesson learned though. I need to pay a bit more hitting my strike temp, and less to knocking back a few beers and shooting the S*** with my brew pal.

How did you determine your strike temp?

I find that the green bay rackers mash calc is extremely accurate. Next time, just don't mash in until you hit your strike temp.

I find that the green bay rackers mash calc is extremely accurate. Next time, just don't mash in until you hit your strike temp.

This.

The formula in Palmer's How to Brew book is dead on accurate (which I'm sure is the same used in the Rackers calculator). Pour in your strike water and wait for it to hit your required strike temp in the MLT, then dough in. Easy as that.

i use the brewheads calculator, which has yet to fail me. I'd probably attribuite this error more to me having a buzz on and not paying attention. Lesson learned :)

From what ive heard most of the conversion is done in the first 10 mins of the mash.

Like you said... probably just expect a drier beer as long as the yeast can handle the alc% (assuming its a big beer).

Wouldnt worry if you hit the OG

From what ive heard most of the conversion is done in the first 10 mins of the mash.

This is true only for very fine grain crushes (i.e. coarse flour). Coarser crushes will take longer. It's all about diffusion distances, and the larger the grain particles the larger the diffusion distances.

Brew on :mug:

This is true only for very fine grain crushes (i.e. coarse flour). Coarser crushes will take longer. It's all about diffusion distances, and the larger the grain particles the larger the diffusion distances.

Brew on :mug:

It's also dependent on mash temperature. The reaction increases as temperature increases. Also, the different amylase enzymes work at different rates. For example, a beta conversion at 140 will be slower than an alpha conversion at 158.

Back