Mash water with some DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undallas

Reaction score
I read a paper from the AG to Extra brewing on the web. It says that one trick of having a good efficiency during mash is to add 1 tablespoon of DME to each gallon of water (RO, distilled) to stabilize pH.

I'm thinking about doing a PM soon, but I want to see if this is valid or if I need to invest the pH stabilizer.

Any thoughts?

I've never hear of this approach. I can't come up with any chemical process by which DME would do anything to improve the mash.

pH5.2 is cheap and it works.

Agreed. But I have been wrong before. Can you point us to the article?

Tip: Add 1 tablespoon of extract per gallon of distilled or reverse-osmosis (RO) water, to create water that is ideal for mashing and sparging. This way you can optimize the water chemistry without fussing with acids, salts, or pH measurements.

Please go to page 38.

Ken Schwartz Convert AG to PM/Extract

I just got some 5.1 ph stabilizer and got 80% mash efficiency in my first AG batch, yes my FIRST. I guess it would be worth trying 2 batches and seeing how each worked, but there are so many variables and 5.1 is not that expensive.

Back