Mash water chemistry question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galactik

Reaction score
I brew 10g batches on a system very similar to a Blichmann Brew Easy. I use 2x20G pots and do a recirculating mash, full volume, no sparge.

I tried doing water adjustments for the first time yesterday and I didnt hit my pH. I was using Beersmith 3 to come up with my water and acid additions. I liked the new water adjustment tool.

I heated my 20.5 gallons of water. I added all my salt and acid additions to the full 20.5 gallons of water. I added 10.5 gallons to my mash tun and doughed in the grains. I let them settle for 10 minutes before starting to recirculate. I recirculate at about 1 gallon/minuteI had used 20.5 gallons as the volume of water when entering values in Beersmith.

I am wondering if I should have only added the additions to the mash tun volume of 10.5 gallons and NOT to the full 20.5 gallons of water.

I guess I am not sure what water volumes I should be using when trying to figure out salt and acid additions for flavor and pH.

Latest posts

Back