mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefferym09

Reaction score
My question is simple. for making a mash tun, should i use a 10 gallon Square cooler, or round cooler. Ya know like the ones they use at kids soccer games...

I have a 10 gal round one that I got from Home Depot, works great. Realistically you can use either kind as long as it can hold heat in

I got a round one for free, so that's what I use. If I had gotten a square on for free I'd be using that one instead. It should be noted that there are a lot more products ready made for the round ones, but if you're going the diy route it doesn't matter.

I use a rectangle while a buddy of mine uses the cylinder. He loses less water due to dead space than I do.

Sent too soon. I meant to add that I love my tun and have not had any issues or stuck sparges at all, and get around 70% efficiency consistently.

With the round cooler you can get a Phil's Phalse Bottom that will work great, instead of having to construct a manifold for the bottom.

I have a 10 gallon round tun. I've done a 22 lb grain bill in it before. But that was just about all it will hold. It had mash about 1 1/2 inches from the top.

I went back to my rectangle due to consistently stuck sparges. The round holds heat a bit better; I now use it as my HLT

I'd say most people are evenly split about what to use (meaning they both work perfectly fine and people tend to just recommend what they use themselves). I'd say go with whatever you can get the cheapest for the size you need.

Back