Mash Tun Slot Spacing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennyS1134

Reaction score
Hello!! I just recently improved my mash tun by building a cpvc manifold. I can't seem to find any information regarding proper spacing between slots. Any suggestions? Thank you!!!

MashTUn.jpg

I'd scrub those bar code labels and glue off!

I just went at it about 3/4 inch spacing with a hack saw blade, it works.

Since then it has been suggested to me that it may be a good idea to space them closer together the farther away it gets from the outlet, otherwise most the liquid is just drawn closest to the outlet. I haven't made any changes yet... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f257/manifold-design-question-513385/

Also something to (over)think about, you get diminishing returns after too many slots. There is probably some kind of optimal relationship between slot opening surface area and outlet surface area.

Thank you for the info! I have enough clvc left over, that I think I may actually try both and see if I notice any differences.

The labels stay, it will give the beer character. :)

The labels stay, it will give the beer character. :)
Just name your brewery "Bar Code Beers"?

In my cpvc manifold, I did my slots about 3/8" apart - as long as you can control the flow rate with a ball valve, I don't know if it would matter how close together the slots are. If there are too few slots, then the flow rate out of the mash tun would be limited by the flow rate through the slots. If there are more slots, then you would be using the ball valve to regulate the flow.

I skipped slots altogether and did holes. I was moving from a 10 gallon round cooler to a 15+ gallon cube so I just matched the hole size to my old domed false bottom. Worked like a charm-- so far!

My 48 qt cooler has PVC manifold w/2 cross bars in it. Slots about 3/4 apart (not precise at all). Cut about 1/3 way through the pipe. Works very well.

Back