Mash Tun...pvc or copper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko1983

Reaction score
Hey, I have an ice cooler that I use to mash and sparge. I want to add a spigot and filter system. I assume the cooler is some sort of pvc, but I'm not sure. Because of the high temperature, I've always worried about the plastic, so I have a couple questions:
1.) Is it safe to use the cooler for mashing? I know pvc can emmit chemicals with high enough temperatures.
2.) When building the filter system, should I use copper or pvc? Any specific grade?

Thanks for any info/help.

1) Tons of people use coolers for mash tuns. You're fine on that one.
2) Don't use PVC. CPVC is safe though. I used copper, but I'm sure CPVC works just as well.

1. Yes. You can use the search function and find plenty of discussion to convince yourself.
2. I used CPVC because it's cheap. Copper is expensive, so I suggest you save your money.

I used CPVC because its nice and easy and the rest of the cooler is plastic anyways.

Are coolers PVC, or are they HDPE? Or maybe some other of the many plastics... Don't think they're PVC, though.

Back