Mash Tun Manifold Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone0n74

Reaction score
OK, so I'm all ready to put together my manifold, except for the fact that the parts I have don't fit as planned. I can't seem to find a good way to arrange the parts to make a good manifold design without running into channeling problems via Palmer's guide. Here is what I have so far:

photo.JPG

My original plan was to have 3 pipes, not 2, but there is no "x" shaped adapter at Lowes that I could find. Do they make one? Or do you think I should just go with 2 pipes as shown above? Maybe my cooler's just too small. the floor dimensions are 20 1/2" x 9 1/2".

Doesn't look so bad. What are you concerned about? Dead space in the center, or that the long sides of the manifold are too close to the walls? You could take those T's to a disc sander or band saw and shorten the T-arms.

What is the diameter of that pipe?

[Edit] I meant "take that T" not "take those T's". There's only one.

I'm actually concerned about both.. dead space in the center and too close to the side walls... I like the idea of taking the "T" down some which would solve both problems... although, I'm not sure how much I could take down. The pipes are all 1" - maybe I should have gone with 3/4" ???

yeah, I did copper and I used 1/2". Smaller pipe size makes it easier to make those types of adjustments. There's no need to use 1" pipe unless you have a 1" valve coming out of the cooler. That thing would be like a firehose! But there's a limit to how fast you want to drain anyway.

But you have the parts...if you can't return them, might as well give it a shot!

I'm actually concerned about both.. dead space in the center and too close to the side walls... I like the idea of taking the "T" down some which would solve both problems... although, I'm not sure how much I could take down. The pipes are all 1" - maybe I should have gone with 3/4" ???

1" may be a little over kill. I haven't mashed yet (tonight will be my first go at it) so I don't have a leg to stand on, but I modeled mine after all the 1/2" manifolds out there. Whatever you do, good luck!

:mug:

Knew I was doing something wrong... yah, just ordered all the parts yesterday for the ball valves and went with the 1"... thought it looked big, but went with it anyway as the only 2 options on Bargain Fittings were 3/4" or 1". :(

Well I suppose it's not the only or the worst mistake I will make... lol I can always control the flow by barely opening the valve. On the plus side, when I need to dump liquid fast, I'll be ready to go :)

Are you batch sparging? If so, you're worrying about nothing. Think about it. You drain the tun, pour in sparge water, stir it well, drain again. Repeat if preferred. Channeling isn't a problem with this method.

Fly sparging on the other hand, is another story.

Actually, no, I was planning on fly sparging. I had 2 coolers I wasn't using so I thought, "why not." Could always just batch sparge later, but since I have the equipment, I figured I'd give it a go.

photo-1.JPG

Took about 1/2" off on each side of the "T" as well as the 2 elbows. Result is not bad :)

OK, after a lot of elbow grease, I have cut my slits that will go on the bottom... have it upside down in the pic just to show off my dirty work.

photo-2.JPG

Just got done sparging mine on the 1/2" for the first time. It flows like crazy so I can only imagine how fast yours will be with 1" Let us know how it goes!

This is the main reason I went with a false bottom, I know it's not possible to use a fb in a rectangle cooler, but just wanted to point out the ease of the fn, ESP with copper prices up and the lack of assembly and cutting

This is the main reason I went with a false bottom, I know it's not possible to use a fb in a rectangle cooler, but just wanted to point out the ease of the fn, ESP with copper prices up and the lack of assembly and cutting

Assembly is part of the fun...Anyone can buy a premade piece of equipment, but there is enjoyment in creating and using your own. Not that buying premade is a bad thing though.

OK, it seems I was so excited to get started building, I didn't remember things right. Turns out the parts I ordered from Bargain Fittings were indeed 1/2". So, took all the parts I didn't cut back to Lowe's and exchanged them all for 1/2" CPVC parts (much cheaper by the way). Anyway, it was probably good I went through all that, because the second one turned out much better if I do say so myself:

photo-4.JPG
photo-3.JPG

Back