Mash tun keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joon75

Reaction score
Tomorrow I will be taking my keg to have the top cut off and the couplings welded on. I have a coupling for the ball valve and a coupling for the thermometer. I also plan on welding couplings on the top side of the keg. Do I need separate couplings for the recirculation and for the sparging? Is there something I'm missing? I attached a picture of what I want to do with my keg? Any would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389231413.097020.jpg

I had a guy build mine, HLT, MLT & BK, and he talked me out of a sight glass on any of them. I'm glad he did. The kegs are kind of cumbersome and I would have surely broken at least one by now. Someone with a better setup, maybe the ability to CIP, might say different, but I get along fine with my mash paddle/dipstick to keep track of volumes. I think a sight glass in the mash vessel would be more trouble than it's worth to keep clean, though.

The same guy showed me how he recircs his RIMS by laying the silicone tubing on top of his grain bed, over the top of the keggle rather than through a fitting. If I ever recirc I'll start out the same way. I can always take a keg back to have another fitting or two installed if I think I need it. His rates are pretty reasonable.

One thing I think I wish I'd have done on the MLT was to cut out the bottom and drain through the original top opening via a triclover fitting. It's not that bad disassembling the dip tube and pulling the false bottom for cleaning, but I might do things differently if I were to do it over.

I have Brewhardware.com weldless sight tubes on my BK and HLT for the last 3 years and I haven't broken them nor are they in my way.

I will be installing one more on my MLT to make filling to a specific volume that much easier.

I don't have a return portion my as I just lay my silicone tubing on top during the RIMs tube mash.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

Back