Mash Tun - Copper Manifold vs Stainless Mesh Screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean1211

Reaction score
Hi everyone... first post! sorry if this has already been discussed...

I'm in the process of making the switch over to all grain:ban:

Currently i'm putting together a mash tun from a rectangular cooler and was wondering if anyone knows of any added benefit of going with a copper manifold as opposed to a stainless mesh screen tube.

Price isn't really a factor, i have a couple of leftover 8ft sections of 1/2" copper pipe..... just seeing if putting together a manifold is worth it as opposed to just screwing in a screen.

Thanks!

I think the general consensus is it depends on what type of sparge you will carry out.
IIRC copper manifolds suit fly sparging, and a single mesh screen in the.centre of the tun for batch sparging.
I tried both, a single mesh screen when i used to batch sparge and also a single piece of slotted copper.
I had better results with the mesh regarding clarity but that may have been fault on my part with slot width.
Many on here will chime in, i would say try both and compare as its the only way you will know which works best for you and your setup.
Hope this help

Matt

Thanks Matt, very helpful info..... i will most likely be going with batch sparging, think it will be a bit more simpler approach, at least for the first few batches..... think i'll be going with the mesh screen to get me going and maybe in the future throw together a manifold and compare results.

I never had a set.mash with a mesh screen but i did with the copper.
When making a manifold for fly sparging design is critical to allow proper flow through the grain bed with even distibution and.to prevent channeling, batch sparging however is not critical on design hence this single screen.
For what its worth i no longer sparge at all, i carry out full volume mashes and use the entire batch volume in the mash and drain it off.
Take a little hit on efficiency but still get 68-70%.
All grain is a great process, but you will learn that its all trial and error and experimentation, which is what makes it so fun.
Good luck on the.new.venture, though im sure you wont need luck.

Matt

I've only ever used a mesh torpedo screen and I always batch sparge. I have tried fly sparging a few times but the efficiency was no better. I guess I'd have to switch to a manifold to fly sparge efficiently but I can't be bothered.

I will try the no sparge option soon. My mash tun is just about big enough for a 5G batch and I'm sure it'll give me a better tasting, cleaner beer.

I did have a stuck mash once with my mesh screen but that was a heavy rye beer which turned into a sticky jelly.

Latest posts

Back