Mash Tun Cooler Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearHillEast

Reaction score
Will a false bottom for an Igloo cooler fit the Rubbermaid ones?

There's a very cool drop-in replacement one on Amazon that I like but it is advertised as fitting an Igloo cooler with no mention as to whether it does or does not fit a Rubbermaid.

You could always measure the bottom diameter of your Rubbermaid cooler and answer your own question!? :mug:

Either way it's amazon...return it if not.

You could always measure the bottom diameter of your Rubbermaid cooler and answer your own question!? :mug:

Either way it's amazon...return it if not.

Not everything in Amazon has free shipping so inherently this question is worth about $20 to me. And $20 can buy ALOT of hops!

Are you planing to fly sparge or batch sparge. If batch sparging there are a lot of options. I went with a water heater hose braid. About $12 and never a stuck sparge.

You're obviously in cahoots with a Chiropractor and his agenda to put his kid through an Ivy League school AND buy a yacht.

We'll leave it at a firm "no" and never talk of it again.

Are you planing to fly sparge or batch sparge. If batch sparging there are a lot of options. I went with a water heater hose braid. About $12 and never a stuck sparge.

I don't sparge. Since 95% of my mashing is done overnight I find it unnecessary.

I have the water heater hose braid now. I keep looking at the fittings and how they're discoloring and really would prefer the move to something stainless steel.

You're obviously in cahoots with a Chiropractor and his agenda to put his kid through an Ivy League school AND buy a yacht.

We'll leave it at a firm "no" and never talk of it again.

I don't sparge. Since 95% of my mashing is done overnight I find it unnecessary.

I have the water heater hose braid now. I keep looking at the fittings and how they're discoloring and really would prefer the move to something stainless steel.

A water heater braid IS stainless steel.

Agree with skipping the false bottom and using a bag in the cooler. You can also use the stainless braid with the bag if you want to, I just have a 90 degree elbow pointed down and it works fine. Its pretty simple and cheap.
The advantage to using the bag is if you get a slow moving or stuck mash, just pull up on the bag a little and the wort gets flowing. Its also easier for me to clean the grain out. I do have a false bottom in my keggle mash tun that I use for big brews, but I'll probably get a bag to fit that someday.

Back