Mash Tun Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know it's not a big deal.. but it is to me. I built this MT from a 25qt Igloo rectangular marine cooler. It didn't come with a spigot so I had to drill the hole using a step drill. I kinda went overboard on the connections using a Cam Lock vs a barb. I think I will remove it and install a barb. I started building the manifold out of CPVC and PEX but, ultimately went with CPVC and a woven hose cover designed for a washing machine.. slightly larger in diameter. The hose was enough for two filters plus enough to make maybe another two. It was a fun project and looking forward to the next part of equipment for my first all grain brew.

Because of the curvature at the inside bottom of the cooler, I had to drill my hole higher than I wanted. This forced me to "engineer" the piping that connects to the valve on the inside. I used a 45* elbow and a T to drop down.. but, because the distance to the bottom was "in between" I had to grind about 1/4" off both the ell and the T to make a nice fit that hugged the bottom. From the T, I used a couple of short CPVC nipples attached to a pair of CPVC street ells to attach the woven hose. All in all, it turned out nice, IMO

MT Front.jpg

MT Valve Install.jpg

MT Manifold.jpg

Nice, simple, and effective. good work.

I think you'll like the camlock(s) in the long run, but you'll have to put them on all your gear to get the value. As your all grain equipment expands, you'll appreciate the ability to make quick changes.

Thanks, I just changed that over to a SS hose barb for now. I bought a bunch of cam locks and will probably change back once I get my pump / plate chiller etc moving on.

Back