Mash tun basket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gosé the gozarian

Reaction score
So, I built a mash tun out of a cooler (the rectangle kind) and had the copper pipe straining in the bottom then got a brew bag, I don't really like either of them. What is everyone's thoughts about making a stainless mesh basket that fits in the cooler? Best material, What to use for the framing, etc..?

Last edited:
Utah Biodiesel Supply has a crazy amount of options for stainless mesh baskets. I’m planning to use one for my new system because they can completely custom build what you want.

I just went took the plunge and bought one of those customized baskets for my new kettle. Figured if you're going big might as well go big. Doesn't hurting noting to the wife that it would be cleaner and safer than hoisting a bag of hot sticky liquid out of kettle by hand and suspending it by rope.

Anyways, I'm still a few weeks out on that order but it seemed awesome. Can update later.

Those baskets are expensive!

Why don't you like the perforated pipe on the bottom, or the bag? Either is so easy to use. What problem do you want the basket to solve?

My thoughts also. A bag or a basket to me are just one more nuisance. Have you tried a braid. I used a 3/4 inch water heater supply line for mine in a round water cooler. It is heavy duty, won't collapse. I can knock it about with my mash paddle all I want without issue. Of course this will not work if you fly sparge. But the basket or bag won't either unless you have the manifold under it.

it would be cleaner and safer than hoisting a bag of hot sticky liquid out of kettle by hand and suspending it by rope.
How does the basket change this? It's even heavier and can't be squeezed, so it will be dripping much longer.

A steel basket can't be squeezed, but it is 200% easier to run some sparge water through it. I am doing BIAB currently but the low efficiency kinda bums me out. I have a rectangular cooler that I did a BIAB with manifold and RIMS but I quickly realized that channeling is a huge issue which killed efficiency. I changed to twin bazooka tubes but haven't used it yet.

Here my current cooler....

Attachments

• 20180624_180106.jpg
    20180624_180106.jpg
    899.6 KB · Views: 120
That isn't really going to do much for your channeling problems. The sparge water is going to go directly to the two openings at the base of the bazooka tubes instead of to just one. You need to make a manifold. Copper or CPVC tubing that makes a loop around the bottom of the cooler with slots or holes in the bottom side of the tubing. Then, water will enter the tubing all the way around the loop.

You really have a couple of issues going on here. You may be losing some efficiency recirculating but that is not an issue with the sparge. Unless you are doing a fly sparge. A manifold that you had is best for the re-circulation. The bazooka tube is fine for the batch sparge. A basket or bag are not going to help with the re-circulation end of things.

How does the basket change this? It's even heavier and can't be squeezed, so it will be dripping much longer.

Note that I still haven't even got my basket yet as the order hasn't been completed but the idea is that there are SS O-rings on the sides that support a U-shaped support beam to hold the basket over the kettle. I got that on mine because it seemed like I could sparge that way if I wanted or just let it sit there to drip.

And while you can't squeeze it necessarily as it is sitting over the kettle they do make a steel plate press to press down own it. You of course could make or use your own or just skip this step which is what I plan on doing.

I get it that this is a somewhat unnecessary splurge purchase but I was tired of messing with bags and wanted this because it could be stored in my kettle meaning it doesn't really add any space as a cool or additional kettle for a mashtun would. Also, I had some extra cash ;)

There are different baskets on aliexpress and I believe at least one of the suppliers mentions taking orders for custom sized baskets.. like the difference in price between the arbor hop basket ($80) and chinese made equivalent ($20 direct) they are much cheaper on aliexpress than through homebrew suppliers.

With the caveat that I am using a round "Gatorade" style cooler for MLT, I recently got a custom-made basket from Utah Biodiesel. Yeah, its expensive, but I was really impressed with how much easier my brew day was this past Saturday. I used to affix a bag with bungee cords and would squeeze it within an inch of its life and I got pretty good results, both with efficiency (around 70%) and with total wort collected. I like to have about 6 gallons going into the fermenter and I make middle-of-the-road IPAs so I heat 8.5 gallons and end up with around 7.5ish for the boil.

I got the press plate for the basket and I was able to collect just under 8 gallons. I basically lost only about 1/2 gallon with the press plate. My efficiency was 87%. And it just made the mash and clean-up process so much easier. I was very happy with my purchase.

Latest posts

Back