Mash Tun Agitator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadNewsBrewery

Reaction score
So I looked around, googled, and found nothing of substance. Has anyone seen, or heard of, a homebrew size, DIY mash tun agitator for the standard 10gal round igloo cooler? Something motorized that attaches through the lid with a few perforated arms that scrape just above the false bottom and keep the wort mixed up. I imagine this would be great for efficiency and batch sparging, and would prevent any sort of stuck mash situation.

Any ideas on execution?
-Kevin

You could always repurpose an old ice cream maker. I think I saw a YouTube video of one. Seemed like a good idea.

I imagine this would be great for efficiency and batch sparging, and would prevent any sort of stuck mash situation.
Since you have to stop mixing to let the grain bed settle, it doesn't have an effect on you having lautering problems. That's dependent on the efficiency of your filtering system. For the same reason there is no difference between using this method for batch or continuous sparging.

There are some theoretical advantages to mash mixing (see quote below), but in practice it plays a very minor part in the quality of your beer. For me, mixing is more about taking the road less traveled.

From BYO:
A technical advantage of a mechanically mixed mash system over non-agitated single infusions is that the product inhibition effect is diminished because of the active mixing action promoting enzyme to substrate binding (KI reaction).

I never run into issues while sparging, whether batch or fly. I seem to run into issues during the HERMS recirculation, likely because I do that process at a much higher volume as compared to the sparge. The agitating arm would be of significant help during that process.

I have an old driver's door window motor - super high torque, slow speed, but not sure it's rated for continuous duty like that. The motors that a lot of those folks are using seem to be REAL expensive.

What about using the motor from a BBQ spit? Geared down internally and has plenty of torque. Should be available in garage sales.

The motors that a lot of those folks are using seem to be REAL expensive.
Found the one I use on eBay for around $30. It's a little noisy, but does the job.

30RPM Merkle Korff Gear Motor
Current: 4 amp stall, 2.5 amp run
Starting torque: 58 in/lb
Running torque: 90 in/lb

MLT Mixxer2.jpg

I've been searching eBay time and again trying to find a good, high torque, AC motor. So far, no luck. They're either way too high in the RPM range, or way too weak in the torque range. I don't think 20inlb would be enough. I made an offer on one that's 260rpm but if I gear it down to 30rpm it'll up the torque to over 100inlb. Just gotta figure out how to mount it, if I win it.
-Kevin

What are you using for a paddle?
Thanks

Found the one I use on eBay for around $30. It's a little noisy, but does the job.

30RPM Merkle Korff Gear Motor
Current: 4 amp stall, 2.5 amp run
Starting torque: 58 in/lb
Running torque: 90 in/lb

What are you using for a paddle?Thanks
I've been mash mixing for a long time. Gone through a lot of different methods. Everything from straight paddles to propeller like. Right now it's a series of 1/4" diameter bars on a spiral. Pretty happy with it, but I have a serious DIY disorder, so who knows what's next? :D

237910d1416801185-maintaining-temperature-emlt7.jpg

Latest posts

Back