Mash temps and re ipe reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freefallfan

Reaction score
I am in search for a mash temperature guide. Are there any out there? Most recipes i come actoss dont have any mash temps. I feel like the rest of the hb worldknows something I dont.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Home Brew mobile app

"Should" but some assume. I got beer smith so that added some clarity.

You're right, and I mean this nicely, that the rest of us know something you don't. That something is right here (and is my usual guidelines, that can be altered any way you wish for the recipe at hand):
Wheats/ pale ales/ anything I want dry: 150-152
Hoppy IPAs/ sharp porters (kinda bitey/ grain-bitter): 152-153/4
Big IPAs/ IIPAs/ stouts/ many specialty beers (which for me are often dark): 154-156

Generally, light, crisp, drinkable mouthfeel is a lower temperature. Some use 149 but that's out of my comfort zone, mostly influenced by a lack of thermometer trust. Chewy, filling stouts (Yooper's Oatmeal Stout is fantastic here) are mashed higher- 155, 156, something like that. If I want a higher apparent malt:hop ratio from an IPA I'll mash a degree or two higher. I don't have empirical evidence that this works, but to my tastes mouthfeel has a large effect on perceived bitterness (thicker= less bitter). Kyle

Thank you! I made an english brown and guessed 154.temp fellto 153 but I like a dryer brown so I guess that works.

Honestly you probably won't notice a degree, especially if the mash fell to that temp over the hour. I certainly don't notice minor mash temp fluctuations in the final product. I'm sure many people can detect subtle mouthfeel differences but it takes a more educated palate then I have. Kyle

Back