Mash temperature stabilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDreher71

Reaction score
So I am wondering about how long you all typically observe for mash temperature to stabilize after you mix strike water and grain? I'm on my fourth AG batch, and I've been following Papazian's suggestion that the water temperature drops 16 to 18 degrees when mixed with grain, but that gives me an initial temperature around 158-160. Maybe I am not waiting long enough for grain and water temperatures to equilibrate? Thanks...

Charlie's book is a little too 'relaxed' at times... he doesn't always get sciency when he needed to.

The volume of grain, the temperature of the grain and the temperature of your mash tun (mainly a cooler MLT) all have a drastic impact on how much heat drops in the strike water temp upon dough-in.

for example most of my beers hover right around 10-11lbs of grain per 5 gallon batch, mashed in a 5 gallon cooler (so I really have no dead headspace cuz those coolers can only hold 13lbs of grain comfortably).

I pre-heat my MLT with hot tap water (125F), and have my grain at ambient temps (no cold from the house A/C)

So I typcially lose 9-12 degrees when i dough in. I do often have 2 quarts of boiling water going just so I can raise the temp if needed (or stir the hell out of it to cool down).

Also, do take several temp readings as you'll get hot and cold pockets, especially if grain balls formed (I always add the grain to the strike water to avoid this)

Thanks, malkore. I'll have to make a note to preheat my (10 gal.) cooler next time, and maybe only heat strike water to mash+10. I've also been adding water to grain, rather than other way around.

Personally I dont care about numbers. I heat my water to around 180 degree, then mix with the grain. I adjust the temperature with cold water until I get the mashing temperature I want.

It always works!

Thanks everyone. About how long do you usually wait after mixing before your mash temperature settles?

I stir, stir, stir, stir and check the temperature in a couple of different places. If it's the same, it's fine. If it's not, I stir, stir, stir until it is. Once it's the same throughout, it won't change anymore.

Back