Mash temp vs beer style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcwilcr

Reaction score
I was doing my first 10 gallon AG batch yesterday and made a mistake when calculating strike water temperature which I didn't catch until it was too late that got me thinking about rules of thumb or best practice methods when it comes to deciding what temperature to use for single infusion mashing. I've read lots of information, know the MALT(more alcohol lower temperature) acronym and am familiar with various tables like the one below that all point to what you can expect when using different mash temps but when I browse through different recipes here and elsewhere to get an idea of what it seems like people are using, successfully or otherwise, it seems people typically stick in the mid 152 F-155 F range almost by default. The mistake I made if anyone is wondering is I accidentally ended up mashing my Porter recipe at 157F instead of 152F which was my target by using 70F as my starting grain temp instead of the 75F that it really was at and not leaving the thermometer in the mash long enough before I took an initial reading.

Basically, my question to anyone who wants to comment is, How does everyone choose the temperature they mash at for a given style? Do you take the style into consideration at all, or do you just have a magic number you like to use?

I'm curious because even though it counts as a mistake since I was off of the magic number I was shooting for, I think the results might fit with the beer quite well and possibly even better than if I had done everything right.

mashrests-56230.jpg

My mash temp is highly dependent on the style I am brewing as well as the grain bill. If I have a high percentage of crystal malts (like for my CA Common) I will mash at a lower temp so the beer isn't overly sweet and I do the same for IPA's and PA's. I think a lot has to do with personal preference. I tend to like a beer on the dry side, others don't. What's great about AG brewing is that you can make whatever you want, however you want. :mug:

If you're an AHA member, I can direct you to the results of an experiment on mash temp/fermentability presented by Greg Doss of Wyeast at this year's NHC. Bottom line is that using temps between 146-158 he got the highest attenuation at 153. Kinda blows a lot of old concepts, huh?

Not an AHA member but that is an interesting result. It is so clear sometimes that since homebrewing evolves so much as time goes on, I feel like the more I know the more I realize how little I know.

Denny, Thank you for your words of wisdom. I will remember this information and it backs up an experience I recently had when brewing an APA that came out dryer than I intended/expected.

OClairBrew said:
My mash temp is highly dependent on the style I am brewing as well as the grain bill. If I have a high percentage of crystal malts (like for my CA Common) I will mash at a lower temp so the beer isn't overly sweet and I do the same for IPA's and PA's. I think a lot has to do with personal preference. I tend to like a beer on the dry side, others don't. What's great about AG brewing is that you can make whatever you want, however you want. :mug:

This is exactly the kind of thinking I was curious about. I know a higher percentage of crystal malts will give you a sweeter beer but does a low attenuation in the base grains contribute that much to sweetness or will it mostely change the consistency and of course the abv?

If you're an AHA member, I can direct you to the results of an experiment on mash temp/fermentability presented by Greg Doss of Wyeast at this year's NHC. Bottom line is that using temps between 146-158 he got the highest attenuation at 153. Kinda blows a lot of old concepts, huh?

That's fascinating. Bout to listen now. Thanks for the heads up!:mug:

Denny, can you please post the location of the results.

This is exactly the kind of thinking I was curious about. I know a higher percentage of crystal malts will give you a sweeter beer but does a low attenuation in the base grains contribute that much to sweetness or will it mostely change the consistency and of course the abv?

IME I find that the lower attenuation of base grains will still affect the sweetness, but not as much as crystal malts.

Back