mash temp too low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burninmules

Reaction score
I am brewing my first 10 gallon batch. I normally only do 5 gallons. I lost more temperature than normal when mashing in because of double the grain. I am at 148 but was looking for around 155. Would it benefit me to add 1 gallon of boiling water to my mash tun? Or should I just leave it. I am mashing in a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler. Brewing a pale ale.

If it were me, I would do it. But I don't know if it's a good plan or not. You'll probably do fine in either case.

How's that for a definitive answer?

That is exactly what I was thinking. If SWMBO comes out here with some boiling water, I will add it. I don't think it'll hurt anything either way.

Only thought I have is around the mash consistency. More liquid mashes purportedly can add astringency to the finished wort. Other than that, I would say that temps are most critical so do what it takes to achieve that temp.

Latest posts

Back