Mash temp too high for a few minutes...problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcarmack

Reaction score
I have a dubbel mashing as we speak. I'm still getting used to all-grain, and seem to flub something each time...this time I must have measured by water temp poorly, because the mash temp came in a little over 160 (target was 152). I added some ice a little at a time to get it down to 153-ish, but there was probably about 5 minutes or so over 160, and another 5 minutes cooling down to the proper temp.

I know that doing an entire mash at 160+ is bad news, but how bad of a shape am I in with just a few minutes over the top? Is this still going to give me a decent wort? (I guess I'll know in less than an hour when I measure the gravity...)

It sounds like you corrected the snafu quickly, so it should be fine. Don't worry too much. Due to an improperly calibrated thermometer (Doh!) I mashed an APA a few months ago for an hour at 161*. It turned out ok-- perhaps too much body for the style but it fully attenuated even with the high mash temp.

Back