Mash temp - off flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsnight

Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that my thermometer reads 10-12 deg. high. I bought a new digital to compare and when I get up to 153 my old thermometer is reading around 140 - 142. The new thermometer also reads dead on with the stick-ons on my carboys full of sanitizer. So, i'm wondering. I'm checking on my last two brews, the amber is almost a month in the bottle, fully carbed. Tastes really thin, watery, some buttery/cider kind of tastes. Are these symptoms of mashing in the low 140's possibly high 130's? I did hit my OG dead on.. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Yes, I believe you have found your problem. Did you take a FG? I would imagine it is very low, giving you your thin watery flavor.

Your new thermometer should make a world of difference, I am surprised you got successful conversion as low as you mashed, did you do a mashout?

I'd have to double check but i think 1.008, I have noticed the last few finishing really low. I usually don't mash out, just sparge with 170ish water from my hlt. What am I gaining from mashing out? And is it nessicary if I'm sparging with hotter water?

I have a scottish ale fermenting now, will see in a few weeks if thing are back to normal.

I'm surprised you hit OG with a temp that low. What was the recipe? Some stuff won't even gelatinize at that temp.

Wait, if you old thermometer was reading 140 when temp was actually 152...that would mean you were mashing at 164 when you thought it was 152. You were probably mashing really hot, not really cool. Just thought I should point that out.

Took a minute to think about that. It reads 10-12 high. so when I'm mashing at 154 the temp is actually 142-144. Ya, not sure why i hit my OG. I initially set my mill with a credit card and adjust a little from there so, I mill pretty fine, assume that helps. both beers were smaller, amber and a pale 1.050 .

The thin mouth feel would be from mashing too low, the buttery/cider would be diacetyl and acetaldehyde which would be from poor fermentation practices. They are both produced during fermentation. Healthy yeast and good fermentation practices would allow the yeast to remetabolize those off flavors during the end of fermentation.

Took a minute to think about that. It reads 10-12 high.

But that's not what you said: "when I get up to 153 my old thermometer is reading around 140 - 142", i.e. the old one reads low. Did you mean to say the opposite, that when the old thermometer reads 153 the actual temp read with the good one is 140?

Your right.. the first post, first sentence, I had backwards. It reads too high, so I've been mashing too low. See if I can edit that. thanks everyone

But that's not what you said: "when I get up to 153 my old thermometer is reading around 140 - 142", i.e. the old one reads low. Did you mean to say the opposite, that when the old thermometer reads 153 the actual temp read with the good one is 140?

Yes, new therm. reads 153, old therm. reads 142.
Sorry for all the confusion

Latest posts

Back