Mash temp for dry stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I'm making an AG dry stout for the first time.

5 Gallons

9.5# 2-row
.5# Chocolate Malt
.75# Roasted Barley
.75# Flaked Barley

Estimated OG 1.064

Yeast will be Irish Ale WLP004

What temp should I mash at?

I know this won't affect the temp but I will be using spring water with some calcium chloride.

For most of my beers I usually mash at 152F. It should work well for this recipe as well.

Cheers!

Most of mine are between 152 and 154 as well. I have been reading that some do dry stouts as low as 148. Just curious to see what others thought.

As it's meant to be a dry stout you might want to aim for slightly higher attenuation than on a typical beer. Hence the traditionally low mash temp.

When I do a dry Irish I mash in at 150 and let it drop to 148 over the hour. Luckily that is pretty much how my system works on it's own though, so I just try to meddle as little as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was thinking I would mash in at 150. My system drops maybe 1 degree over the hour. That should be good for high fermentables to make a nice dry beer

Dry stout indicates less sweetness and that means fewer remaining sugars. Lower mash temps give more fermentables and the yeast will eat most of them, therefore "drying" out the beer. Temps between 148-152* generally are for drier beers where 154-158* give fewer fermentables and more sweetness for sweet stouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back