Mash temp dropped...what to do...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AR-Josh

Reaction score
So my mash dropped to 146 by accident. I was shooting for 148. I added some hot water and now it is at 148. I have already mashed at the lower temp for an hour. The original plan was to mash at 148 for an hour then do 155 for 10 minutes. Should I start the hour over since it is at 148 now or do like a half hour at 148 then raise the temp to 155. I’m doing water infusions to raise the temp in a cooler.

clear as mud?

I just did some reading that at 146 it is still converting but slower. So yeah. It sounds like my instinct was a good plan. Thanks.

I missed my mash target last week, It held at 146. Took 2 hours to convert, I just kept checking and doing a starch test until it finished. I wanted it to finish dry anyways so I just let it roll.

Admittedly I don’t test conversion. When I first started doing all grain I did 152 mashes and if I was a little low I got full conversation regardless. Now that I’m aiming lower I’ll probably buy some iodine in case this happens again.

146 is till in conversion temps so as long as your ph is fine, you’ll be alright. That being said you’re not going to get much alpha amylase conversion so it will be very fermentable and you’ll have a drier beer than intended. As suggested previously by @doogie you could always raise the temp to 155-158 for 30 mins to gain some alpha amylase and body in the finished beer

Sounds like the perfect excuse to enjoy an 8 hour brew day. "Sorry, hunny... my strike temp was too low so I had to do a decoction mash."

Back