Mash starting time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myron17

Reaction score
Please advise, but I'm a little confused so all help is greatly appreciated! My question is, when does the clock start when adding your grain bill to the strike water? Does it start at the 170 degree temperature or when it falls to the actual mash temperature. I've done my second batch and just realized I started tracking the time with the grains being added at strike temp entry. Is this wrong? If so, what is the likely outcome?

Please advise, but I'm a little confused so all help is greatly appreciated! My question is, when does the clock start when adding your grain bill to the strike water? Does it start at the 170 degree temperature or when it falls to the actual mash temperature. I've done my second batch and just realized I started tracking the time with the grains being added at strike temp entry. Is this wrong? If so, what is the likely outcome?

It's pretty unusual to add grains to 170 degree water- what is the mash temperature you're going for? Often, depending on how many pounds of grains you are adding, adding the grains will only drop the water temperature to mash temperature about 11 degrees or so.

Here is a nifty calculator that can help you get your strike water volume and temperature figured out.

My signature has some nice links to podcasts that discuss what is going on during a mash. You may find it helpful.

I typically start my timer after I've doughed in / mixed my grain with the water and made sure that my mash is at a good temperature for the enzymes in the malt to get to work.

Here is a nifty calculator that can help you get your strike water volume and temperature figured out.

My signature has some nice links to podcasts that discuss what is going on during a mash. You may find it helpful.

I typically start my timer after I've doughed in / mixed my grain with the water and made sure that my mash is at a good temperature for the enzymes in the malt to get to work.

Awesome! Very much appreciated sir!

It's pretty unusual to add grains to 170 degree water- what is the mash temperature you're going for? Often, depending on how many pounds of grains you are adding, adding the grains will only drop the water temperature to mash temperature about 11 degrees or so.

Thank you! I really appreciate the input!

Also, I suggest relaxing a bit on precise timings. The world will continue if you miss almost any brewing step by a few or several minutes (exception being perhaps hop additions near/at the end of boil, and even then it may not be as hyper critical as you may think).

Latest posts

Back