mash ratio question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weizen

Reaction score
When mashing and you have a large dead space under the false bottom should I add that amount to the mash. Example: say I have a 1/2 gallon under the false bottom (my pick up tube can get most of it) and I want to mash at a 1.25 qt/lb ratio and there is 10 lbs of grain. Would i just add 12.5 qts or should i add 14.5 qts (extra .5 gallon under false bottom)? Seems like I need to add the extra if not I'm actually only mashing with 10.5 qts or a 1.05 qt/lb ratio.

I wouldn't follow my advice and wait for others, but if you want that water to be touching the grain, I'd add the extra 2 quarts. You will be vorlaufing but it won't be in direct contact with the grains, so I'd go ahead and add the extra. But then again, I'm an uber-noob and I would wait for other responses.

I'm also going to pose a question here. When doing the sparge, should you stir the grain and then let it sit? I'm just not sure if stirring the grain will release tannins or something of the like.

I've been using a Zapap lauter tun, which of course leaves a big dead space, and lately I've been wondering if I could partially fill it with something, like ziploc bags filled with water, or marbles, or something.

When mashing and you have a large dead space under the false bottom should I add that amount to the mash. Example: say I have a 1/2 gallon under the false bottom (my pick up tube can get most of it) and I want to mash at a 1.25 qt/lb ratio and there is 10 lbs of grain. Would i just add 12.5 qts or should i add 14.5 qts (extra .5 gallon under false bottom)? Seems like I need to add the extra if not I'm actually only mashing with 10.5 qts or a 1.05 qt/lb ratio.
Yes calculate the dead space and add that much more water to the mash. Keep in mind You will want to get that water into the grain. resirc it a few times throughout the mash, about every 15 min or so. You can also stir, but watch your temps. If you direct fire your mash tun you will want to resirc it anyway while you heat it up so you dont over heat the liquid on the bottom of the tun.

I'm also going to pose a question here. When doing the sparge, should you stir the grain and then let it sit? I'm just not sure if stirring the grain will release tannins or something of the like.

Are you batch or fly sparging? fly sparging you want to stir one time before you start your resirculation to set the grain bed, then you leave it alone (except the top 2-3", go on ask me why ;)) When you batch sparge you would stir, resirc and drain.....Stir, resirc and drain and so on till you collect the wort you need.
Cheers
Jay

Yes calculate the dead space and add that much more water to the mash. Keep in mind You will want to get that water into the grain. resirc it a few times throughout the mash, about every 15 min or so. You can also stir, but watch your temps. If you direct fire your mash tun you will want to resirc it anyway while you heat it up so you dont over heat the liquid on the bottom of the tun.

Are you batch or fly sparging? fly sparging you want to stir one time before you start your resirculation to set the grain bed, then you leave it alone (except the top 2-3", go on ask me why ;)) When you batch sparge you would stir, resirc and drain.....Stir, resirc and drain and so on till you collect the wort you need.
Cheers
Jay

Batch sparging. Thanks, I just wanted to make sure lol

I use a SS kettle w/ faulse bottom for my mash tun and I have to add 1.25 gal (5 qts) in addition to mash water requirement to fill the "dead" space below the false bottom. So if I have 13 lbs of grain which requires 4 gal of water my total water required is 5.25 gal. (21 qts).

I've been using a Zapap lauter tun, which of course leaves a big dead space, and lately I've been wondering if I could partially fill it with something, like ziploc bags filled with water, or marbles, or something.

Boiling stones or marbles isn't out of the question. That is akin to building a French drain with aggregigate.

Back