Mash PH Shockingly below Calculated Target

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tippsy-Turvy

Reaction score
My mash pH was 4.9, at room temp!

My mash pH is always +/-0.1 points from the targets derived from Brunwater (worst was +0.2pts) but this was a shocker to me. Being my first darker beer brew in a while and necessitating baking soda, the only explanation I can think of is that the baking soda has degraded with time. Naturally, the pH meter was calibrated.

Does baking soda, kept in an airtight plastic container for about a year, go "off"?

Baking soda doesn't really go bad per se. It can lose some of its potency over time depending on environment, but if it is in a sealed container I doubt it has gotten noticeably weaker. You can test it by adding some to vinegar, if you get a reaction it is still good. I think it is more likely that your PH meter was off (I know you said it was calibrated), your measured additions were off, or somewhere in Bru'n water something was entered incorrectly (grains, or water volumes).

The pH guys hang out in the brew science section. I suggest you try there.. You'll need your beginning water profile, additives, and grains if you want some real help. If you still have all that, there is also a spreadsheet many use there that you can cross check with Bruin water.

Also, check calibration of your meter? Mine needs cal almost every time.

Back