Unusual higher mash PH for the last couple of batches, why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taking a pH reading of the raw water
For the 11 billionth time, no one is doing that. Stop getting hung up on this. Wow.

The important issue is making sure that when you mash your grains the mash pH falls within a range that is suitable for the enzymic process.
OK, so after all of this, you agree that mash pH is important.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the 11 billionth time, no one is doing that. Stop getting hung up on this. Wow.

OK, so after all of this, you agree that mash pH is important.

Not when quibbling about a variation of 0.2 of a pH unit between mashes and both of those figures are well within the enzymes pH window not a bit. I gave up reading pH's because the system I use of knowing the alkalinity before starting the mash works so well there is no need . My experience says why bother testing something that you cannot change anyway?

Taking a pH reading of the raw water ...

Actually, we regularly get questions on HBT from folks new to water chemistry and mash pH about their raw water pH. So, some people do think it's important, before they learn more.

The way I read @jambop 's posts, is that they are stating that starting water (brewing liquor) pH is unimportant, but what is important is the water alkalinity. I agree with this statement. They also appear to be claiming that a specific mash pH is not as important as being within an acceptable range. I don't think that should be controversial either. I don't believe they ever said mash pH was unimportant.

Brew on :mug:

Time for a reminder to carry on your discussions with civility. Do not attack another poster's motives, heritage, language skills, etc. Stick to the topic, and don't make it about individuals.

Some posts were edited to delete snark aimed at other posters.

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

Actually, we regularly get questions on HBT from folks new to water chemistry and mash pH about their raw water pH. So, some people do think it's important, before they learn more.

The way I read @jambop 's posts, is that they are stating that starting water (brewing liquor) pH is unimportant, but what is important is the water alkalinity. I agree with this statement. They also appear to be claiming that a specific mash pH is not as important as being within an acceptable range. I don't think that should be controversial either. I don't believe they ever said mash pH was unimportant.

Brew on :mug:
You clearly see my point thank you . Of course I may not be putting it over as you have said it but you are bang on with what you said .
I am sorry to have offended anyone.

and don't leave us hangin on the results! ;) :mug:
After calibrating the PH meter, I used it to test my brew of a porter, but the result seems more bizarre ( much more higher )...

The target mash PH is 5.45, as I wanted it a bit higher for dark beers, but the test result is 6.18 ( 19.9C, sample taken at 20mins after mixing grains and hot water)! After the 1 hour mash is done, the PH drop to 5.59, then after boiling and before fermentation it went down to 5.31, which is close to normal PH range at this stage I suppose.

Maybe the smaple testing is just an inconsistant measure itself or some problems with my water source... next time I will calibrate meter again and brew pale beer target mash PH is around 5.3, to see if I can get closer to the target like I used to.

Is your pH meter able to hold calibration? When you measure the calibration solutions right now, is it reading much too high? If yes, then your probe might be shot.
I test the PH meter with the three calibration solutions individually at round 25C/77F:
PH 4 solution ( my meter shows: 3.95-3.98)
PH 6.86 solution ( my meter shows: 6.78)
PH 9.18 solution ( my meter shows: 8.92)

It is actually reading a bit lower... Are these differences a big problem? Or this is within an acceptable range? Also I remember when I did the calibration, each solution took several minutes to get it done. Quite a long time. It this normal?

PH 4 solution ( my meter shows: 3.95-3.98)
PH 6.86 solution ( my meter shows: 6.78)
PH 9.18 solution ( my meter shows: 8.92)

It is actually reading a bit lower... Are these differences a big problem?

5.3, then I can get somewhere between 5.25 or 5.35, not too far out. However, for my last 3 batches (a pale ale, a Hazy IPA and a saison) I got mash PH much higher than my target PH. These 3 batches are 5.43, 5,49 and 5.59 individually,

well then yes? and when calibrating you only want to use two points, neutral and the direction from it you want to take "i believe"

(i don't want to calculate logarythmically how many H+ ions that makes..... lol ;))

remind me if the make model of this ph meter has been brought up?

i'd be wondering if your probe is replaceable, because it may need to be swapped....
It is a SMART SENSOR PH818 which I got online from a local supplier. I will chech with supplier if I can get the probe replaced.

Attachments

• meter.jpg
    meter.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 0
It is a SMART SENSOR PH818 which I got online from a local supplier. I will chech with supplier if I can get the probe replaced.

damn $13, i don't know if i'd have faith in it to begin with? not sure? maybe like electronics the price has come down.....

Back