Mash out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalc6927

Reaction score
Is this step required with recirculating system? I take it, that the mash out replaces the sparge step,

Thanks

Is this step required with recirculating system? I take it, that the mash out replaces the sparge step,

Thanks

Mash out isn't needed for BIAB and it doesn't take the place of a sparge. Mash out is simply used to stop conversion before one would start a long fly sparge. With BIAB you would pull the bag of grains out and start heating the wort immediately which would stop conversion. Whether you sparge or do a full volume, no sparge batch is up to you. Sparging does gain you efficiency as without it you would be leaving a bunch of sugars in the grain.

I would assume the system isn't BIAB, but a re-circulating mash with some other sort of sparge step. sparging is just rinsing grains. mashing out is heating the grains to a point where all enzymes denature and conversion is halted. both are different steps and do not take the place of each other.

Back