Mash Monitor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kladue said:
With most of the liquid tied up in the mash was the steam injection very noisy aside from the warmup snaps and pops. I suppose if one wanted to do the math you could figure out the water/steam necessary to move the heat into the mash. Do you have any plans to reduce the steam flow to maintain boiler pressure.
Actually, it was very smooth, even with the valve wide open. Recovery time was very minimal (~2 minutes), so I don't think I'm going to worry about reducing the flow.

BTW...80% Efficiency!!!

I wonder if the higher efficiency is related to the localized overheated mash liberating more of the starches from the grains while the bulk of the enzymes are preserved away from the hot spots, kind of like a localized decoction mash.

Most of the code I used today is actually already posted above. The sensors were an LM34 temp sensor in the mash and a pressure sensor from eBay. I'm going to modify the code to rely more on the microcontroller for automation (i.e., if the computer connection was lost, everything would be maintained). As it is now, the computer does most of the automation.

Ahh I started code a while back for an antonymous A but got sidelined due to vacations and such.. :) I stared running into trouble with byte size then started working on just client side software to control the A then just forgot about it. :drunk:

Ihmo i do think the A should be antonymous though, and send sensor data to the client side every other loop or so.

When i started planning mine i planned on 2 temp sensors in the mash tun( upper and lower, or one lower and one that i could turn on and off for spot temp checking.) 1 in hwt, 1 in boiling tank, then a outside abient temp and humidity sensor, to guesstimate water loss from boil etc.. I also thought about hacking a ph probe for the system :)

I may need to start taking a look at it agian...

Another successful steam masher. That's 3 of us now, right ?

What did you mean by mash volume ? Provided your boiler isn't pushing water out, the volume of water in the steam you injector is just about nothing compared to the mash volume.

Wow -- nice job Yuri. Very humbling to see *REAL* DIY projects in action!

I may have missed it, but was that a 5 gallon batch you brewed with the steam system? If so, that's incredible performance with the steam system (more than 2 - 3 times what I got out of my simple stove-top steam setup). Very nice setup.

Got a total parts list? Ha ha, just kidding. :D

Thanks for posting that -- great thread!!

Yuri_Rage said:
FlyGuy said:
I may have missed it, but was that a 5 gallon batch you brewed with the steam system?
It was a 15 gallon batch with a 40 lb grain bill. It impressed even me!

Wow -- that totally rocks man! 15 gallon temp step in < 10 mins? Holy shiite.

:fro:

Wow -- that totally rocks man! 15 gallon temp step in < 10 mins? Holy shiite.

*laughs I don't mean to be a know it all, but I told you guys it would work like that !

Source code is now posted here.

I still don't like the program very much, but I haven't had time to write more autonomy into the Arduino code. For now, the host computer does most of the calculating. Later, I hope to make the Arduino almost stand-alone, using the host computer only to change parameters and display values.

A digital pH sensor (part #14775T22) should arrive Weds from McMaster - will be incorporated ASAP!

Yuri_Rage said:
Source code is now posted here.

I still don't like the program very much, but I haven't had time to write more autonomy into the Arduino code. For now, the host computer does most of the calculating. Later, I hope to make the Arduino almost stand-alone, using the host computer only to change parameters and display values.

A digital pH sensor (part #14775T22) should arrive Weds from McMaster - will be incorporated ASAP!

Most excellent.

It's kinda like I want to do.
Let the microprocessor do all the regulation and send to the computer all the sensors data and change the parameters on the fly :D

kladue said:
Yuri,
Did you just purchase the probe or did you also purchase the ph transmitter needed to make use of the PH probe?
I just bought the probe. After it arrived, I realized I had no idea how to hook it up (the pamphlet that came with it was almost completely useless). Turns out I probably need an amplifier circuit. Guess I won't be using it for this weekend's brew...

What's even more frustrating - it was advertised as having ATC. The temperature correction isn't automatic unless you have the unit that the probe was designed for. For my purposes, I have to figure out the correction factor via another two leads that come from a thermistor in the probe.

I should've done my homework a little better before jumping in. I thought the probe was going to be a bit "smarter" than it really is.

Yuri_Rage said:
Turns out I probably need an amplifier circuit.

I've only partially looked into pH metering but I found a good document on a ultra low current amplifier (National Semi. LMC6001) that should work great for pH measurements. Here is the data sheet, scroll down to page 10 and it gives an example of pH measuring with that amplifier. You can also browse around at circuitscout.com there are a few examples on there as well.

Just looks like it will be a little more work than expected, but isn't everything?

TheFlyingBeer said:
Just looks like it will be a little more work than expected, but isn't everything?
Thanks, man. I appreciate the links. The LMC6001/LMC6041 circuit appears to be a pretty simple solution, at a glance.

I'm just a little disappointed. So far, every component I've seen with the word, "sensor," attached can either be read directly via a digital signal or a converted analog signal. The Arduino has onboard DAC conversion, so it works well in such applications. I was just mistaken in thinking that I could reference the pH probe to 5V and read a temperature corrected analog signal from it.

you will be better off to look for a ph transmitter to interface the ph probe with as you would need the amplifier circuitry for the high impeadence cell and resistive temperature sensor. Might have been a bit easier if you had purchased a probe with built in preamp, then you could work with the .9 - 1.73 VDC signal from the cell. You might take a look on Ebay for PH transmitters, saw a couple of Foxboro loop powered units that would use a 24Vdc supply and a 250 ohm resistor in series to develop a 1-5VDC signal for the analog input to the board. If you have questions about the foxboro transmitters will share my information on connecting and calibration of the ph probe you purchased.

As some of you know, I recently made the switch to Linux (not dual boot, not Live CD...I dove right in with 100% Linux).

So, I decided to give my Mash Monitor software a try today. After a bit of gnashing and fiddling with Java libraries and defaults (not too terribly painful), I got a successful build. I only needed to change a single line of code (which could easily be done dynamically...and probably should be). My Ubuntu installation even automatically detected the Arduino board and set it up on /dev/ttyUSB0.

The single line of code that changed:
Old: private static final String PORT = "COM3";
New: private static final String PORT = "/dev/ttyUSB0";

Another gratuitous screenshot including some of the cool 3D effects available with Compiz:

4688-UbuntuMashMonitor.png

Yep, linux is cool. I use debian at work and I'm waiting for all my stuff to arrive to be able to do a full backup of my laptop and reinstall my beloved desktop bsd.

I've been 100% Linux (servers and workstation) since RH 8 came out. I think that was 2002 ? I can't remember anymore, its been so long.

The great thing about Java is that its almost platform independent.

I know this is an old post but I was curious if anyone could offer some advice.

I want to build a board that can read temperatures in my wort during fermentation with a thermistor and possibly when I switch to AG read the mash temps. I am suppose to be learning java this summer for my computer science major so I also want to work on a program that reads the temp. for now it's just a learning project.

Does anyone have a schematic I could use for thermistor to a USB that I can then connect to a computer. I would like to build the board my self if it isn't too complicated. I do think that would be an awesome learning experience.

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciates

Look up the LM34 and LM35 datasheets for temperature sensing and how to wire them up. Check out the "DIY Submersible Temperature Probe" thread for how to make something okay to dip in your beer.
You can use an Aurdino in between the sensors and you computer. Or, even cheaper you can buy a SiliconLabs Toolstick with the F321 daughter card. Glom together some C code that is downloaded to the microprocessor to interpret commands from the USB or simply read the ADC, maybe scale it, and spew it to the USB.

Back