Mash Lauter Tun and Wort Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
I've seem some really interesting Mash Lauter Tun designs and I intend to make my own, but I don't know how large to cooler to use?

I typically only brew 5-6 gallon batches, so how big a Mash Lauter Tun would I need?

Also, I made a wort cooler out 3/8 copper tubing. It works well, but is like a spring. I want to stabilize it by either soldering or using fin wire to tie it together. I would use silver solder and lead free flux, but I'm wonder if that will effect the beer. I'm leaning toward bare copper wire, Thoughts?

Thanks,

The cooler MLT... get a 10 gallon or 50qt cooler... they are IDEAL for 5-10 gallon batches with no ill effects on efficiency.

+1 to the Pol. I only brew 5 or 6 gallon batches, but when I brew big beers I find I need the extra room.

I agree. The 10 gal round Rubbermaid or the 48 quart rectangular Coleman Extreme are tried-and-true coolers for an MLT. They are a perfect size for 5- gal batches.

Back