Mash in a bag DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruteforce

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a mash in a bag since my manifold comes apart from time to time and then it's a nightmare. Anyone have tips of which fabric I should get (voile of some sort, but does it matter?) or how to stitch it so it doesn't fall apart?

I believe Voile seems to be the fabric of choice. Look into the Wilser bags (http://biabbags.webs.com), I have one and love it! 5 brews in with it this year and I am very happy.

Some have used the paint strainer bags from Home Depot or Lowes, but I think they are not as fine and don't last nearly as long.

I just finished a new bag last weekend. It was the second bag that I sewed (first bag was too small due to a measurement error but was good training for making the second bag).

Polyester voile is what you want - here is a good source:
https://www.fabricwholesaledirect.c...5bycCTlQOxwob2OhoCeBHw_wcB&variant=3832519107

Get some fine polyester thread and make sure you use rolled hems on all of your seams. I rolled all of the hems 3 times and then reinforced them with polyester webbing.

Take your time and you can put together a nice bag - but it really is much more efficient to just buy one that will fit your needs - but then again it is probably more efficient to just go buy your beer instead of making it.

Thanks everyone! And good point on buying a bag. I dont mind taking a hit on free time to brew, but I'm not that into sewing, so I might just do that.

Some have used the paint strainer bags from Home Depot or Lowes, but I think they are not as fine and don't last nearly as long.

I concur. I continue to use them, but only when I do demonstration brews, brew sessions on a camping trip, guy's weekend around a campfire, that sort of thing. These batches are pretty rough and simple, and to be honest I don't pay a lot of attention to how well the strainer bags work, just the fact that they work and never caused a problem is why I use them. I suppose I could re-use, but under these situations it's just simpler to pitch them out. I get to Homer's enough that I just grab a couple from time to time.

So, in a pinch, I wouldn't hesitate to use for a regular brew day if I were inclined to do BIAB as a steady diet. And honestly not about to stitch up fabric with these things so easily available. But hey if you're going to take a holistic approach to the craft, stitch away! I think it's pretty cool the way people have so many different approaches to this hobby.

Latest posts

Back