Mash hops or FWH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
From what I can tell both of these give similar results. My question is about the time needed to get the benefit. I've been batch sparging which meand FWH would probably get about 15-20 minutes in the wort pre boil. Is that long enough?

I'm thinking I should go with Mash hopping for the added time.

Any ideas?

Everything that I have read ( from more experienced brewers ) indicates that FWH works the best. I have not done Mash Hopping.

I did both today on the same batch for the first time ever...we'll see :drunk:

I don't think it takes that much time to see the benefit from FWH...you've also got the time required to get up to a boil to factor in.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I did both today on the same batch for the first time ever...we'll see :drunk:

I don't think it takes that much time to see the benefit from FWH...you've also got the time required to get up to a boil to factor in.

True, I'll give that a try and see how it turns out.

I'm basically trying to get rid of some hops, otherwise I would have done a more orderly progression through the different techniques. One thing I noticed about the mash hops was that they really seemed to help in mash filtration. I batch sparge and my run off was literally done in less than 5 minutes. I didn't notice as much hop aroma as I expected, although the flavor was definitely there in my sample. The FWH seemed to add a good deal of aroma.

Beats me...guess I'll drink it when it's ready, though!

Back