Mash efficiency is solid...problems reaching target OG after boil.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamwhatiseem

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am extracting sugars a little better than BeerSmith using my original equipment settings (AG 10 gal coolers standard false bottom etc.)
BS has my target mash efficiency at 88.4%...however I am more like 91% according to preboil gravities
So I am pretty satisfied with grain extraction.
My problems are attaining OG.
For instance this mornings Black IPA --
PreBoil Gravity.........1.0475 (Refractometer)
AFter boil - OG Target -- 1.075.....Measured -- 1.069 :(

One thing I have noticed is I consistently have about a half gallon more post boil volume than BS states I should have. I boil for an hour, maybe a few minutes over sometimes...but never less than an hour. I have a medium rolling boil, not crazy boiling - a nice even roll across the whole top surface.

I am concerned about boiling longer till volume is correct - would this not affect the flavor quite a bit since that would screwup the addition timing?

Or..should I just not worry about this since my beer is very good...flavor is awesome. I usually prefer my own over commercial as does my friends.
Cheers...and thanks for your responses.

Try an experiment. Start your boil and let it go 15 min then start your recipe additions. See if that gets you closer to target OG and Vol. See if flavor is adversely changed.

If if gets you closer you may need to add/subtract time to hit target OG and/or vol.

Of course you could use a half gal less strike/sparge water.

I thought about using less sparge water...I like your idea about boiling 15 minutes prior to starting recipe. I wouldn't think that would affect flavors much, if at all.
The main reason I am interested in perfecting this part is so my own recipes come out as consistent as possible, and my ideal ABV for the style is what I want it to be.

The method I use now is instead of a false bottom, I use a BIAB bag and use that instead. HOLY COW easier, and I haven't has a stuck sparge since. I mash for 75 minutes, open the tun give everything a good stir, sit for another 5 minutes - then start sparging.

Beer smith only tells you what you should have based on the information you have provided it. Your boil-off rate clearly is in error.

Give your software a hand by feeding it the correct data and it will spit out more useful info. Garbage in, garbage out.

It is only a tool. You tell it what to do, not the other way around.

If your-preboil volume is accurate, sounds like you need to reduce your boil-off rate by 1/2 gallon in beersmith.

If you plan longer boils (I often do 90 mins) just delay any 60 minute hop addition till 30 mins into the boil. No problems there.

Edit: how are you measuring volume in the kettle?

Beer smith only tells you what you should have based on the information you have provided it. Your boil-off rate clearly is in error.

Give your software a hand by feeding it the correct data and it will spit out more useful info. Garbage in, garbage out.

If your-preboil volume is accurate, sounds like you need to reduce your boil-off rate by 1/2 gallon in beersmith.

If you plan longer boils (I often do 90 mins) just delay any 60 minute hop addition till 30 mins into the boil. No problems there.

I have a MegaPot with the lines on it.
SO how would I change the boil off rate in BS?
beginning volume-end volume divided by minutes I suppose? Hav eto look and see where you enter that

I have a MegaPot with the lines on it.
SO how would I change the boil off rate in BS?
beginning volume-end volume divided by minutes I suppose? Hav eto look and see where you enter that

You can do that in your equipment profile. Make your own and label it
1My badass Megapot. The "1" means it will always be top of the list. Same with mash profiles, fermentation profiles etc.

You can tweak the equipment profile to your exact needs. I've my boil-off set at 0.96 gallons per hour as an example.

I've a megapot too. Solid pot. Love it. The gallon markings are good but quarts are even better IMO.

Some additions I have made to my Megapot
Pot Changes.jpg

Picture shows.
  • Quart markings,
  • A SS false bottom (I BIAB and it keeps the bag off the bottom preventing damaged bag/scorched grains, uneven heating),
  • Cam-lock fitting,
  • Poor-mans dip tube

Megapot is awesome...sooo much better than what I started with.
Just curious - do you also have a edelmetall burner?
My boil off is also just barely under a gallon an hour.

Learn something everyday.
Once I put in my equipment way back - I just thought BS calculated everything from that and good to go. Apparently not.
It had set my boil off to 1.15 per hr. Too high.
Thanks!

Megapot is awesome...sooo much better than what I started with.
Just curious - do you also have a edelmetall burner?
My boil off is also just barely under a gallon an hour.

Just stove top brewing in my kitchen although I have a decent natural gas stove. 18,000BTU on the burner I use I think.

Yesterday's brew involved boiling 7.4 gallons down for a 5.5 gallon batch over a 90 minute boil.

90 mins boil off 1.4 gallons
Shrinkage 0.25 galons
Trub and system losses 0.25 gallons (hop absorption, plate chiller and hoses)

The trub loss is another thing you need to tell Beersmith.

For mashing there are another list of unique specs to your system that you can input to better maximize the benefits of the software.

MT dead space, grain absorption, mash tun material and weight etc. With the right data and a good thermometer your strike temps and mash volumes will be spot on.

There are some decent Beeersmith video tutorials out there that might be of use. It can be a bit of a daunting software to get your head around I think especially for the likes of the non-software savvy like myself. Well worth the effort though, to get it to work well for you.

Best of luck with it.

Agreed Gavin. Just wish everything was in one window and not scattered to the four corners.

If you're interested in checking it out, my mash calculator will do all these things as well but is a lot easier to setup.

Agreed Gavin. Just wish everything was in one window and not scattered to the four corners.

If you're interested in checking it out, my mash calculator will do all these things as well but is a lot easier to setup.

:off:

Hey Priceless

I have visited your calculator and found it to be excellent. I put my numbers in and it really gives very accurate results. I like withuse beersmith as I have everything in one place (mash pH adjustments notwithsatnding). I think it would be great if you wrote a short piece on it for the front page. I think it is a great tool, free (well done sir), and would benefit many. I have recommended it to many and will continue to recommend it.

I think beersmith for many is a bit like that scene in the Big Bang Theory where Sheldon is dismayed that his new operating system for his PC is more user friendly. He liked the older clunky version.

True, Beersmith is not as intuitive as many of the other platforms but once you get used to it you can give yourself a mental pat on the back and can really start to enjoy the product and explore what it can do for you as a brewer. I wouldn't say the learning curve is steep with it, but there certainly is a curve.

Just stove top brewing in my kitchen although I have a decent natural gas stove. 18,000BTU on the burner I use I think.

Yesterday's brew involved boiling 7.4 gallons down for a 5.5 gallon batch over a 90 minute boil.

90 mins boil off 1.4 gallons
Shrinkage 0.25 galons
Trub and system losses 0.25 gallons (hop absorption, plate chiller and hoses)

The trub loss is another thing you need to tell Beersmith.

For mashing there are another list of unique specs to your system that you can input to better maximize the benefits of the software.

MT dead space, grain absorption, mash tun material and weight etc. With the right data and a good thermometer your strike temps and mash volumes will be spot on.

There are some decent Beeersmith video tutorials out there that might be of use. It can be a bit of a daunting software to get your head around I think especially for the likes of the non-software savvy like myself. Well worth the effort though, to get it to work well for you.

Best of luck with it.

Awesome!!
After reading this, and changing Beersmith specs, I have since made 2 more brews.
My gravity for both was within .004...and that is obviously acceptable for homebrewing.
Thank you!!

Back