Mash: Day 1, Boil: Day 2, got weird this time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beershere

Reaction score
Many times I have mashed on the night before boiling and finishing the process with full success. This time it got a bit weird.

Wheat recipe- 6 lbs white wheat, 4 lb pilsner, 5 oz Acidulated.

Mashed 149 for an hour, drained, sparged to 6 gallons. Finished at about 6 pm Sunday.

Came back Monday at about 6 pm after work to my kettle to begin boil and found a white scum and stench on my wort. Sheeeeet.

In doing some googling sounds like this might be lacto that formed due to the Acidulated malt, extra time, and perfect conditions for production.

Anyone seen this happen unintentionally? Do you think this batch is screwed? It definitely had a sour smell not usually present in a standard wheat wort.

I regret not trying it preboil to see if there was a sour twang, but I am going to try to shift this from a hefe to a Berliner Weisse based on this recipe:
http://www.hopstotable.com/2014/02/20/award-winning-recipe-raspberry-berliner-weisse/

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back