Mash 156

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aubie Stout

Reaction score
OK.....

Every time I have tried to mash at 156, the beer will not finish to the estimated final gravity. I typically use two thermometers to make sure that I am hitting temps. My latest attempt was a sweet stout. Mashed for 90mins at 156. Pitched on top of a Nottingham yeast cake at 75 degrees. OG: 1.056. Two weeks later: 1.030 vs an estimated 1.014. This is not the first time it has happened either although they usually get down to 1.020 and are drinkable. This one is WAY TOO SWEET!

I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing.....

Thanks,

Screw the hydrometer, have you checked the thermometer?

Also why are you mashing for 90 minutes? The higher the temp, the less time you need to mash.

I used two thermometers to double check accuracy this time. Both are electronic and I calibrated each.

I made This Recipe and the OP seems to get in the 1.020 range.

Yes. I even checked the hydrometer......

I'm convinced to never mash above 154 ever again! That what kills me. I mash my ambers at 154 and never have any problems....

How long is your thermometer? Short digital? If so, get a longer thermometer. Mash temps are much cooler near the top of the mash, even if you stir. I had this exact same problem. I bought a longer lab type thermometer, problem solved. I had 3 Extra Stouts finish at 1.031 or so, and with the new thermometer they have all been 1.019-1.020 so far (3 of them), right where they should be. I mash at 156 for my Extra Stouts.

I been mashing at or around 154 to 156 & try to hit 155 with no real issue....I hit from 1.050ish to 1.010 on nose with last one......

Back