Marzen Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPG27

Reaction score
Going to brew a ONE GALLON ALL GRAIN Marzen soon. I've come up with the following recipe:

BATCH SIZE

1.0 Gal

FERMENTABLES:

1.25 lb Vienna Malt 56%
0.50 lb Pilsner Malt 22%
0.50 lb Munich Dark Malt 22%

0.20 oz Saaz (60 mins)
0.10 oz Domestic Hallertau (10 mins)

WLP830 German Lager Yeast

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.013
IBU: 21.29
SRM: 8.92
ABV: 5.47%

Comments?

Looks good to me. Similar to a Vienna Lager recipe I did recently. It's not fully catbonated yet, so I can't comment on final taste, but she looks and smells wonderful.

Looks good to me. Similar to a Vienna Lager recipe I did recently. It's not fully catbonated yet, so I can't comment on final taste, but she looks and smells wonderful.

What mash guidelines would you suggest? What temp should I reach for boiling and what temp should I maintain the mash at?

I did a rest at 148 for 20 minutes, then a decoction up to 158 until complete conversion. The decoction was more for practice than because I thought it was necessary. Could have done an infusion.
There's a simple website called 'Greenbayrackers' that I use to determine how much and what temp water to use for infusions. I use 'braukaiser.com' for the decoction formula(as well as a ton of useful info. on all processes german).

Back