Marris Otter in Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
I'm just thinking about adding some Marris Otter to my saison recipe i'm trying to perfect over time. I'm on iteration 3 right now and it's really good for my taste.

My grist currently is:

82% pils
15% malted wheat
5% oats
3% melanoidin malt

mash at 147 for 2 hours.

I was thinking of subbing 20% of the pils portion of the grain with marris to get a little more breadyness in the finished beer.

If you have put MO in a saison how did your experiences with this turn out?

FWIW I use INISBC farmhouse yeast which is pretty similar to WLP 565.

I've never used Maris Otter in Saisons, so will be happy to hear how it turns out for you. But did you consider adding Vienna or Munich to add a bit of maltiness/breadiness/toastiness? To my taste they seem to be a bit more natural in Saison. Although it's more from geographical and historical point of view.

You'd be fine replacing all the Pils with MO if you want and it'll taste great. You could probably drop the melanoidin malt though. I've done a saison with about 85% MO plus 15% oats and a dash of chocolate. It tasted great. If you're going by the rules for a competition or something, then it won't fit. Otherwise, its a farmhouse ale... within reason use what you have and tastes good.

I agree with @rhys333
As long as you keep large amounts of crystal and other specialty malts away from my saison, whatever is cool with me.

But side note, WLP565 and INISBC-291 are not very similar at all from my experiences
WLP565 - lemony, spicy, crisp peppery bite, bit of funk
INI-291 - STRAWBERRY, hay, higher attenuating, but not a bite at the end

Back