Maris Otter clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joejaz

Reaction score
What specialty grains can I add to America 2 row to make it taste similar to Maris Otter?

I don't really think there is a direct way to "duplicate" the taste of Marris Otter, but I would imagine putting some Biscuit or Victory into the grain bill might help out quite a bit in mimicing the flavor.

A bunch of American malt producers make a Pale Ale malt (separate from their Pale malt) which typically is around 3L like MO and will be much more similar to MO than typical 2 row is.

The other thing I've seem people do with mixed success is add a bit of Biscuit or Victory malt to give a bit of that biscuity/bready character of MO.

Joe, what flavor descriptors are you looking for that you find in Maris Otter?? Is it a biscuit/bready note or something else??

Maris Otter is a unique malt and brewers tend to find different flavor notes they associate with it in the finished beer. I have heard some commerical brewers talk about the "grapey" note they get out of Maris Otter. I was just wondering what flavors you want to substitue for Maris Otter.

Dr Malt :)

I don't think I can pinpoint any particular flavor. I want to do more ESBs and English Pale Ales in general and I guess what I want is the overall taste that the Maris Otter as compared to a Am. 2row is contributing to the recipes. I generally use Victory malt in my ESBs but don't know if I should increase the amounts to compensate for the Am. 2 row.

There really is no substitute for traditional, floor-malted Maris Otter. I can't think of a combination of 2-row and specialty malts which can exactly mimic it, or even get close.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 2-row. If you've got 200 lbs of the stuff, you're in trouble unless you can sell it on, but just use it up on something else or go ahead and brew with it. Then when you run out of the 2-row, buy up some Maris Otter.

Sorry to be so forthright, but I really think you'll end up chasing your tail on this one.

Good luck! :mug:

Bob

I agree with NQ on this one. That is why I asked what flavors you attributed to Maris Otter. If it was the toasty biscuit flavor then another specialty malt might help, but the true flavor of Maris Otter is unique and it is why that barley variety and the malt is popular in brewing.

Dr Malt

I guess I got to break down and go for the extra cost and get a sack.

As the old saying goes, "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***".

You won't regret buying that malt. :mug:

I guess I got to break down and go for the extra cost and get a sack.

Sounds like you are saying that it more expensive than 2-row.

The place where I get my malt it is the same price. Look around it usually is not that much more expensive. In 1# increments it does seem to be more pricey though.

Sounds like you are saying that it more expensive than 2-row.

The place where I get my malt it is the same price. Look around it usually is not that much more expensive. In 1# increments it does seem to be more pricey though.

In jersey, 50 lb sack 2-row $42, Maris Otter $64. I just bought a lot of specialty grains and hops, don't want to get too crazy.

Wow, at midcountry malt I think my last bag of MO cost about $40. I know that they also have a warehouse in NY don't know where though.

Back