March pump to CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annasdadhockey

Reaction score
For those of you that use a March pump, mine have a half inch ball valve with a 1/2 inch barb. I want to run the wort through the pump, then through my CFC, which is 3/8 OD copper. What is the best method to do this? Should I replace the 1/2 barbs with 1/4 barbs? Would that jack up the pressure going thru the smaller openings? What do you guys do?
Pictures would be awesome.
<<<<<<I'm going to be hooking them up to these------------.
Thanks

For those of you that use a March pump, mine have a half inch ball valve with a 1/2 inch barb. I want to run the wort through the pump, then through my CFC, which is 3/8 OD copper. What is the best method to do this? Should I replace the 1/2 barbs with 1/4 barbs? Would that jack up the pressure going thru the smaller openings? What do you guys do?
Pictures would be awesome.
<<<<<<I'm going to be hooking them up to these------------.
Thanks

I just put a 3/8 to 1/2 inch coupler on the input of the CFC with 3" of 1/2" pipe. Just slipped my 1/2" silicone tube over it and good to go.

Don't worry about the pressure.

0107102002.jpg

i just took about 2 inches of my syphon hose, slid it just inside the end of the 1/2" ID hose where it connects to the CFC, and slid it on the 3/8 copper line on the CFC. my syphon tubing is 1/2 OD, which fits nice and snug inside the 1/2 ID tubing. it's like a hose within a hose. i did a test run last night with some very hot water and i didn't even have to use hose clamps. worked pretty good. the flow seemed kinda weak, but it sucked out all but about a shot glass worth of water. if you want, i'll get you a pic later.

i just took about 2 inches of my syphon hose, slid it just inside the end of the 1/2" ID hose where it connects to the CFC, and slid it on the 3/8 copper line on the CFC. my syphon tubing is 1/2 OD, which fits nice and snug inside the 1/2 ID tubing. it's like a hose within a hose. i did a test run last night with some very hot water and i didn't even have to use hose clamps. worked pretty good. the flow seemed kinda weak, but it sucked out all but about a shot glass worth of water. if you want, i'll get you a pic later.

Sounds good, though I'm having a little trouble picturing what you did, could be cuz I just woke up though:cross:. Yea, pics would be cool if ya got em.

the standard hose barb coming from the keggle fitting is 1/2" OD. so i got 4' of 1/2" ID tubing. if you have any syphon hose, it is probably 1/2" OD and 3/8" ID. if not, you can get a foot of 1/2" OD tubing from Lowes for a few cents. i just cut about 2-3 inches of the 1/2" OD tubing and slid it into one end of the 1/2" ID tubing. the 1/2" outside diameter of the syphon hose makes it a realy tight fit into the bigger hose and the 3/8" ID makes a nice snug fit over the copper tubing coming from the CFC. it's just a really cheap way to make the transition from the 1/2 barb to the 3/8 copper without having to use more fitting or hose clamps.

hose001.jpg
hose002.jpg

hose004.jpg

Hey, thanks for getting back to me with those pics. That makes perfect sense now that I see it in pics. I think I may do that.

Do note that vinyl as shown in the picture isn't rated for boiling temperature wort...

Good idea though

Do note that vinyl as shown in the picture isn't rated for boiling temperature wort...

Good idea though

well, it wasn't but $1 for 4 foot. i guess i'll go back and get some rated for 200+. thanks for letting me know that. probably woulda been nasty huh?

The only thing I'm aware of that's FDA rated at boiling temperatures and somewhat translucent is silicone hose. I bought mine from brewmasters warehouse for a touch over $2 a foot.

Many have used/use vinyl hose at boiling temperatures with no additional appendages grown. The choice is, of course, yours.

Can you solder? I actually learned just so I could do this very thing. I soldered 1/2" FNPT adapters onto the inlet and outlet of the CFC. This allows a lot of flexibility with quick disconnects, etc. Changing tubing and messing with hose clamps can be a real PITA, especially when you're dealing with boiling wort on one end, and trying to stay sanitary on the other. :D

Back