March Pump thrust washer issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missnridge

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a couple of the March 815-PL used. I cleaned them out when I first got them but didn't know what the thrust washer should like at that the time. I've run them maybe 5-6 hours each since I got them with just water going through to test my new build out. During this time, I'd see some floaties in the water that I didn't think much of. Got everything setup for my first brew and one of the pumps stopped pumping although the pump motor was still going. Finally opened up the impeller housing to see if something got stuck and found an almost nonexistent teflon washer in there. Checked the other pump and that washer was much thicker. Noted the floaties in the water again and realized that the impeller was slowly shaving down the thrust washer and that the floaties were very finely shaven teflon. Got some new thrust washers today (which are much thicker than the existing washer still in the other pump). I'll test it out this weekend but wanted to ask if anybody else has had this issue with a March pump. Although I think I can filter out the teflon, I'd rather not be worried about but don't know if these new washers are going to get shaven down like the old ones.

Cheers,
mnr

I've been running a pair of 815pls forever and while I've never actually seen white floaties for sure those thrust washers are expendable items and I have replaced mine a few times over the many years. At this point I can usually tell when one of the pumps is ready for a new washer before it goes critical, but not always, especially after a long recirculating cleaning cycle. I think hot PBW gnaws on teflon...

Cheers!

Back